New titles???

Forum for the Early American Wars games series
Squadman45

New titles???

Post by Squadman45 »

Any chance to see a new titles in the serie?

I think Wars of Liberation in South America (Conquest of America maybe to), and indian wars are subject of the serie... i know about the pic with somebody "called Morning Star" but the scale and engine is perfect for other areas in XIX century.

EAW could be a subserie inside a bigger serie for small wars, i refer to wars where armies have the size of a corp in a napoleonic battle... with some exceptions (Egypt, Adua/Adowa).

I have the impression serie has still a lot to show and teach us.
S Trauth

Re: New titles???

Post by S Trauth »

Not sure that with this series' map editor available, that this is an area where it is going to be left to whoever wants to take it on, to make what that can of things.
Last edited by S Trauth on Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

S Trauth wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:56 pm Not sure that with this series' map editor available, that this isn't an area where it is going to be left to whoever wants to take it on, to make what that can of things.
The map editor has been available for some time for EAW’s and I’m not aware of a single mod or even scenario at large. If it wasn’t for Warhorses massive Squad battles mod, there wouldn’t be any for those titles either, post Map editor.

Basically, imho, if WDS makes, it likely will be purchased!
S Trauth

Post by S Trauth »

:/ I actually meant 'is an area' -not 'isn't' -

I guess what I was saying is that in the absence of available designers, they -couldn't- make this. And to demonstrate availability it might need to be someone stepping up to start producing exactly what you were saying you hadn't seen being produced.

-Actually I'll give you a more direct example; take the Battle of Rhode Island - the OOB, at least the American one (and the deployment), are frankly- wrong. The command structure there is wrong. I'm not entirely sure that building a scenario in the engine, that is company sized i, necessarily the best scale. It might be .. who knows - but GMT has basically a brigade level boardgame series out. Sure, Apples and Oranges, I get that- however, if you look at that, and think that there might be a better usage of maybe creating a map of the entirety of Aquidneck Island and maybe being a bit more versatile in covering more than just what essentially was a rear-guard action ... but, well ... the entire thing about the Rhode Island campaign in 1778 is the potential of the interplay between French, American, and British sides (Hessians, militia/Continental army, and whatever else).

Point is, I don't know that EAW as an engine is the best choice if I were to do that.
hudsongame

Post by hudsongame »

I would like to see a game covering the 19th century. Something along the lines of Norm Koger's old Age of Rifles game. I believe that besides the Scenario, Map & Campaign Editors, you would also need a unit editor. Anyway, it would be nice to see a new game covering this same area.
scaz

Post by scaz »

I'd like to see WDS acquire the rights to Age of Rifles and spin their magic on it. It's a great game to this day and could be awesome!
Andrew Bamford

Post by Andrew Bamford »

S Trauth wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:59 am
-Actually I'll give you a more direct example; take the Battle of Rhode Island - the OOB, at least the American one (and the deployment), are frankly- wrong. The command structure there is wrong. I'm not entirely sure that building a scenario in the engine, that is company sized i, necessarily the best scale. It might be .. who knows - but GMT has basically a brigade level boardgame series out. Sure, Apples and Oranges, I get that- however, if you look at that, and think that there might be a better usage of maybe creating a map of the entirety of Aquidneck Island and maybe being a bit more versatile in covering more than just what essentially was a rear-guard action ... but, well ... the entire thing about the Rhode Island campaign in 1778 is the potential of the interplay between French, American, and British sides (Hessians, militia/Continental army, and whatever else).

Point is, I don't know that EAW as an engine is the best choice if I were to do that.
I could definitely see an argument for revisiting the AWI using the M&P engine at some point.
S Trauth

Post by S Trauth »

Andrew Bamford wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:32 am
I could definitely see an argument for revisiting the AWI using the M&P engine at some point.
Why stop there? :) But I hear you Dr Bamford.
dudalb

Post by dudalb »

I would like to see a spinoff series called "Wars Of Empire" covering campaings outside the US like The Crimean War, The Indian Mutiny, Franco Prussian War, Queen Victoria's Little Wars, etc.
john3905

Post by john3905 »

Agree with most of these posting... would love to see an era style game as opposed to a specific war. I have been lobbying without any success for WDS to develop or purchase Age of Rifles as well. You can't expect to have good sales for a game on the Triple Alliance, Boer War, South American Revolution/Rebellion, Sikh - English Wars, Indian Rebellion Against the British, Opium Wars, on and on. If the plan is to develop games for each War that is greedy and bad business plan. I suggest you would have great sales for an era style game, i.e., 1820's - 1860s (excluding wars in current titles, ACW, Mex Tex Wars...). How about an 1870s - 1900s, Boer War, Crimean War, Boxer Rebellion, Russo Jap War... Man oh man, I would buy that in a second, sale or not.