Are original style counters/organization highlight possible?

Forum to share all game modifications
John Roddy

Are original style counters/organization highlight possible?

Post by John Roddy »

I would much to prefer to have the original 1.0+ era 2D counter style and to be able to see organization colors in the traditional manner as well. I notice that the counter background looks like it might be controlled by the Unitbox.bmp so that would be an easy substitution, however, I'm wondering if that alone will be sufficient to get the organizational highlight to work in the traditional way? Also, I'm assuming that the traditional Leaderbox.bmp would also need to be used, but I don't see any .bmp files that provide the infantry/cavalry/artillery/leader/etc symbols so I'm wondering what needs to be done to revert those back to traditional?

The new 2D counter look is tedious for me visually and slowing my rate of play down. Any help appreciated!
rahamy

Re: Are original style counters/organization highlight possible?

Post by rahamy »

We don't have anything from the 1.0 era... couldn't even begin to get you going there. I don't even have any of the original HPS cd's at this point myself.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

The game has a Traditional subdirectory in the Info and Map subdirectories so I substituted the Unitbox.bmp, Leaderbox.bmp, and 2DSymbol(nn,a).bmp files for the Marengo equivalent files and could see some changes in the right direction. However, the counters still look like the new version in most ways so I am missing something.

I supposed there could be something hard coded in the game engine but this previous thread suggests that there is a way to do this as it looks like the whole 2D counter looks to have been completely revised.

viewtopic.php?t=685
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

Hi John,

The Organization Highlighting you ask for above is hard-coded. The original type had a square which appeared on the center of the counter, but now we have the bar along the left edge.

Regarding counters, there are old mods out there in the wild which have the original 2D counters on them from the HPS release. Check the NWC mods download area. However these are only for the 50% and 25% views, and don’t contain the updated symbols for leaders, unit types, etc.

Hope this helps!
WDS Graphics Coordinator, Pre-1900 Series
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

Yes, yes, anything helps! Thanks!