Good Books on the M&P Era

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
GMcClellan

Good Books on the M&P Era

Post by GMcClellan »

Most Wargamers are familiar with World War II, the American Civil War and the Napoleonic Wars, the wars in the Musket and Pike era are somewhat more obscure. To that end, I've been polling the guys involved in developing the M&P games to come up with a short list of good books of introduction on these wars. These are not really the down and nitty gritty books (check our Bibliographies for that!) but good overview and introductions to the era. That's not to say these are lightweight books. For instance, Wilson's book on the TYW is massive! These are good places to start if you either are unsure about the game, or have tried them and want to dig in a bit deeper.

Feel free to contribute ideas of your own as well.

Ren:
1 Parker, Geoffery. The Military Revolution
2 Gush, George. Renaissance Armies 1480-1648

Thirty Years War
1 Wilson, Peter: Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War

Great Northern War
1. Massie, Robert Peter the Great
2 Esposito, Gabriele Armies of the Great Northern War, 1700-20

Vienna 1683:
1. Stoye, John The Siege of Vienna
2. Agoston, Gabor. The Last Muslim Conquest: The Ottoman Empire and its Wars in Europe.

Seven Years War
1. Showalter, Dennis Frederick the Great: A Military History
2. Duffy, Christopher: Frederick the Great: A Military Life
3. Duffy, Christopher: The Military Experience in the Age of Reason
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
devoncop

Re: Good Books on the M&P Era

Post by devoncop »

Thank you for taking the time to detail the above.

I have just ordered the Wilson book, it sounds like exactly the sort of big tome I love.

Ian
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

devoncop wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:21 am I have just ordered the Wilson book, it sounds like exactly the sort of big tome I love.
I can confirm that's an excellent book.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Just curious, does the thirty year book dive into all the battles in any level of detail or is there another book that does? Would prefer a book focused on tactics and actual battles than an overall history.
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

parmenio wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 am
devoncop wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:21 am I have just ordered the Wilson book, it sounds like exactly the sort of big tome I love.
I can confirm that's an excellent book.
Thank you it is due to arrive tomorrow...I am looking forward to it.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Grim.Reaper wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 am Just curious, does the thirty year book dive into all the battles in any level of detail or is there another book that does? Would prefer a book focused on tactics and actual battles than an overall history.
Well it's a single volume so will struggle to provide the level of detail you may be looking for.
For example, Breitenfeld has two and a half pages of text + a battle plan.

Edit: Just to make it clear.... that's the paperback version I'm talking about.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

parmenio wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:38 pm
Grim.Reaper wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 am Just curious, does the thirty year book dive into all the battles in any level of detail or is there another book that does? Would prefer a book focused on tactics and actual battles than an overall history.
Well it's a single volume so will struggle to provide the level of detail you may be looking for.
For example, Breitenfeld has two and a half pages of text + a battle plan.

Edit: Just to make it clear.... that's the paperback version I'm talking about.
Thanks, I suspected that was the case. If anyone has any thoughts on a different book, that would be great.
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

William Guthrie has a 2 volume set where each battle gets a full chapter. That said, they are exceedingly spendy. I don't have them, so can't speak to them, but they're out there.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

GMcClellan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 pm William Guthrie has a 2 volume set where each battle gets a full chapter. That said, they are exceedingly spendy. I don't have them, so can't speak to them, but they're out there.
Those sound like what I was after, but your right they are cost prohibitive for me at $100+ per volume:(
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Grim.Reaper wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:02 pm
GMcClellan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 pm William Guthrie has a 2 volume set where each battle gets a full chapter. That said, they are exceedingly spendy. I don't have them, so can't speak to them, but they're out there.
Those sound like what I was after, but your right they are cost prohibitive for me at $100+ per volume:(
Interlibrary Loan perchance?