Marengo: 066. Battle on the Mincio Comments

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
Bill-Peters

Marengo: 066. Battle on the Mincio Comments

Post by Bill-Peters »

I wanted to post a note about scenario 066. Battle on the Mincio from Campaign Marengo. Hold off on playing this one for now. I am just now getting to the 2nd day of the battle and realize that I did not add in enough game turns. As my Allies emerged from their camps on the morning of the second day, I counted out the hexes to the locations I needed to take to win and realized that I would come up short even if the French forces got completely out of the way.

The updated version will include an additional 78 turns taking it up to the last Dusk turn.

The map is 350+ hexes wide. I had not considered that when I built the scenario.

The first day scenario will have less than 100 turns making it more manageable for those players that do not want to slog through a long scenario. I might even look at building smaller scenarios for it as well. The battle breaks down nicely into 4-5 sub-battles. More on this later.
oz77

Re: Marengo: 066. Battle on the Mincio Comments

Post by oz77 »

Bill-Peters wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:41 am I wanted to post a note about scenario 066. Battle on the Mincio from Campaign Marengo.... The first day scenario will have less than 100 turns making it more manageable for those players that do not want to slog through a long scenario. I might even look at building smaller scenarios for it as well. The battle breaks down nicely into 4-5 sub-battles. More on this later.
Thanks Bill.
Perhaps there is a room for a mini Campaign? 8-)
This would be an interesting format I believe we do not have at the moment. Would be good for those players who are not familiar with the campaign concept.
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

Adjusting my copy of that scenario now. To confirm, the total number of turns should be 211?
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

John - I have not decided on a total number of turns yet. Something I will work on in the future. So yes, feel free to adjust your copy to cover the entire first day so that the game ends on the LAST Dusk turn which should be 2050 hours. The 2100 turn (NIGHT) should not be included.

Oz - No, I just do not have the time nor the funding to do that. The campaigns are complex items to build needing small info image maps that the players refer to during their viewing in the Campaign Front End. I am concentrating on the most important things right now. Even the smaller scenarios are backburner material. Needed but not top priority.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

So I put a "Turn Track" together this afternoon for this scenario. Here is the file.

Full two day battle would be 188 turns. A first day scenario would be 84 turns long.

One thing I want to note here is that Ed Blackburn and I agreed to rest our troops during the night and not make any forced marches during that time. Thus all of our units had ZERO fatigue points. It might be that a compromise will have to be made for this scenario if its shorter than 188 turns.

One method might be a random formation march check for each hour based on the average fatigue. If there is 600-900 fatigue points on the average then the formation is going to have to rest until its down below 300 points. The problem here is that the WDS/JTS NB series removes ALL fatigue points if the unit passes the recovery check. Something I wish would be changed to be more like the Panzer Campaigns series where fatigue recovery is gradual.

So check out the Turn Track and hang on to it. Good chart to use for checking on what turns reinforcements will arrive.
Attachments
Turn-Track_Mincio.zip
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 16 times