Cannot Abandon Pontoon Bridge?

Forum for the First World War Campaigns games series
Steve_R.

Cannot Abandon Pontoon Bridge?

Post by Steve_R. »

I seemingly cannot abandon a pontoon bridge. This pertains to: Sabac 1914_0821_01: A Matter of Honor.
Am I missing something or is this a bug?

In the image below, under the tannish tab engineer, there is no option displayed to abandon the pontoon bridge.
BridgeOPS01.png
BridgeOPS01.png (189.26 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
In the image below, under another engineer tab (in the title), there is an option displayed to abandon the pontoon bridge.
BridgeOPS02.png
However, when I click on the abandon bridge menu item, I get the message, at the bottom of the screen, "Cannot abandon pontoon bridge" (I've tried it both in travel mode and non-travel mode.)
BridgeOPS03.png
Can the pontoon bridge be abandoned?
Do you have to wait a number of turns before the pontoon bridge is actually dismantled?
RickyB

Re: Cannot Abandon Pontoon Bridge?

Post by RickyB »

It may be a bug, not sure since it is FWWC. Note both bridge engineers work the same for me, I have an option, that doesn't work, to abandon the bridge.
Dion

Post by Dion »

It's possible that you simply can't abandon a pontoon bridge like you can with a regular bridge. Whatever happened to Ed "Volcano Man" Williams, he would know.
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

Dion wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:27 pm It's possible that you simply can't abandon a pontoon bridge like you can with a regular bridge. Whatever happened to Ed "Volcano Man" Williams, he would know.
I seriously doubt that. Pontoon bridges, I would think, would be much more fragile than a regular bridge. Just cut the ropes or whatever is holding the segments (pontoons) together.
Dion

Post by Dion »

Steve_R. wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:06 pm
Dion wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:27 pm It's possible that you simply can't abandon a pontoon bridge like you can with a regular bridge. Whatever happened to Ed "Volcano Man" Williams, he would know.
I seriously doubt that. Pontoon bridges, I would think, would be much more fragile than a regular bridge. Just cut the ropes or whatever is holding the segments (pontoons) together.
I see what you mean, but what I mean is, because pontoon bridges are so fragile, they may have to be watched 24 hours a day by the people that built it, but it seems to me, like you say, as soon as the unit watching the bridge gets the order to cut it, they should be able to with no delay, possibly with the cutting unit's entire movement points though.
Last edited by Dion on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

From the user.pdf:
Abandoning Bridges
In emergency situations, an Engineer unit can abandon a bridge that it has
constructed using the Abandon Bridge option from the Engineer Menu. When
this option is used, the Engineer unit will be able to immediately leave the
location it is in, but it will be flagged NO BRIDGE and will be unable to build
another bridge for the duration of the scenario.
That has not worked. I have put the engineer in travel mode, clicked on Abandon Bridge, but the engineer cannot move to the adjacent hex. Even tried CTRL+X and that did not work.
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Suggest you reach out to WDS support and share the situation.
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

I might do that. I had not done that yet, as periodically I have seen WDS staff respond to these types of posts.