Bug?: Melee-Commit triggers Arty-attack

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
Rindviech

Bug?: Melee-Commit triggers Arty-attack

Post by Rindviech »

Hello,

I bought SYW yesterday and while trying to figure out how melee works, I commited my dragoons to melee-attack cannons. That triggered the artillery to bombard my dragoons. Then I went on to the next units on the other side of the map and commited them. Noticed that nothing happened I went back to my dragoons to commit them again - wich triggered the cannons to shoot again at the dragoons. And I repeated the process until I figured out that you have to resolve the melee in a second step.
TLDR: 3 Melee-commits on cannons with the same unit resulted in 3 cannon-attacks to my melee-units. And no Melee-resolve was done by then.

I guess it is a bug that the cannon can shoot more than once at the same unit during melee-step.
TheGrayMouser

Re: Bug?: Melee-Commit triggers Arty-attack

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Rindviech wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:57 am Hello,

I bought SYW yesterday and while trying to figure out how melee works, I commited my dragoons to melee-attack cannons. That triggered the artillery to bombard my dragoons. Then I went on to the next units on the other side of the map and commited them. Noticed that nothing happened I went back to my dragoons to commit them again - wich triggered the cannons to shoot again at the dragoons. And I repeated the process until I figured out that you have to resolve the melee in a second step.
TLDR: 3 Melee-commits on cannons with the same unit resulted in 3 cannon-attacks to my melee-units. And no Melee-resolve was done by then.

I guess it is a bug that the cannon can shoot more than once at the same unit during melee-step.
Committing to melee ( I use and drop method) triggers potential opportunity fire. Resolving melee does not. So yes, you could trigger it multiple times by committing the same unit over and over again…don’t do this ;) .
The commit to melee feature is there so you can add multiple stacks to melee a single target , not to recon melee odds.

You can also shoot your own men too, also not recommended!
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

No, it is not a bug - this is "Opportunity Fire" triggered by your actions and is conducted at 50% effectiveness. If you would have resolved the melee then it would have only occurred a single time.

The Melee process is covered in the Getting Started manual and the User Manual - but the reason you have to both Add a unit to Melee and then Resolve the Melee is because it is possible to have units attack from multiple hexes at the same time. If the system auto-resolved after the first add that would never be possible.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Rindviech

Post by Rindviech »

Alright, thanks for the Info.