Games Will Not Run

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
chosin3

Games Will Not Run

Post by chosin3 »

I have two PCs that I use for playing WDS games. Let's call them 'A' and 'B'. PC A is older, uses Windows 10 and has several WDS games installed and they work just fine. PC B is newer and uses Windows 11. Recently I bought Wolfpack and France '14, downloaded and installed both (legally) without any problem on PC B. Wolfpack runs fine, but France '14 doesn't. I went through the usual troubleshooting steps even to the point of uninstalling and reinstalling. In fact, I loaded Campaign Gettysburg, Civil War Battles Demo and Panzer Battles Demo and despite installing without any problems none of these run. Honestly, ther are so many settings in both Win 10 and Win 11 that I cannot say for sure that all the settings on both are identical. And I did switch off Win Defender and all other security software that I could find. So the games run fine on PC A but not on PC B. Does anyone have any ideas?
GMcClellan

Re: Games Will Not Run

Post by GMcClellan »

Your best bet is to get in touch with the Support Account

HelpDesk@wargameds.com
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

As Gary said, write the Help Desk - but also maybe right-click on the icon you are using to launch the game(s) and select to "Run as Administrator". One person said that got them going.

Personally, my account is the Administrator, so I have not had a problem under Windows 11.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
chosin3

Post by chosin3 »

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Customer Support has been helpful but so far don't see a solution - this is an extremely unusual problem I did try as administrator too, but no luck. My belief is that somewhere in the millions of lines of shoddy and sloppy Microsoft coding there are one or two settings that are different. I just can't find which ones they are. Perhaps if someone could check to see if there are any settings that I could try I might be able to solve this. Otherwise, I'll go back to Customer Support as a very last resort.
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

You said France '14 (and several others) don't run. What exactly happens when you launch them? Is there an error message? Can you post it?
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

chosin3 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:50 pm Thank you for taking the time to respond. Customer Support has been helpful but so far don't see a solution - this is an extremely unusual problem I did try as administrator too, but no luck.
Did you supply the contents of the Logs folder to Customer Support?

In particular, the file "engine.log" in that folder.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
chosin3

Post by chosin3 »

Thank you! Ill try to find and save the engine.log file. I am assuming (I haven't checked yet) that it is in the specific game folder.
chosin3

Post by chosin3 »

There is no "engine.log" in any of the game folders. Wolfpack, the game that does run, has two files in the Logs folder. The other Logs folders are empty. I'll send this information to Customer Support and would be glad to have any more of your suggestions.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Don't worry about Wolfpack (because that runs ok) for the engine.log file - that will likely have wp.log as one and probably jar.log as the other.

So are you comfortable with opening a command prompt at all?
You need a command prompt open in the folder where France '14 is installed.

If you can then copy and paste the following two commands:

Code: Select all

France14 -V > output.txt 2>&1
and then

notepad output.txt
Let the helpdesk know if you get an output.txt file and what notepad shows as its contents.

This is mine:

France '14 4.03 Aug  4 2023  RELEASE
(if you aren't comfortable with being able to open a command prompt in the game folder, let me know and I'll show you a quick way of doing it)

Edit: This will let us know if the game is actually starting to run or not.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
DNACHIP

Post by DNACHIP »

I seem to have the same or a similar problem. Neither of my squad battle games nor the panzer battle demo will run. They all exit to desktop a few seconds after the splash screen ends. They all work on other computers. I have tried the usual troubleshooting steps but no joy. I have recently changed the motherboard to an ASUS Z790 but I cannot see any other compatibility issues. What is interesting that starting a campaign runs without issue.
I have contacted support and attached the log files of Eagle Strike.
Any progress on Your side?
-Joerg