Patrolling vs Deception units

Forum for the Modern Campaigns games series
warhero88

Patrolling vs Deception units

Post by warhero88 »

We are playing NGP, which features Spetnaz deception units. The manual implies patrolling can negate deception effects of deployed deception units like spetznaz. Still, we cannot find anything that describes the "range" of the patrolling vs its negation effects on Deception units, or if certain units (like MPs) are better at finding deception untis. If you have insights on using patrolling or unit types to negate deception units, please share. I suppose we could just have a no-deception-unit house rule but the concept of deception units affecting travelling columns is realistic and adds a tactical layer to the game we like, assuming there is a reasonable counter that can be tried.
KAreil

Re: Patrolling vs Deception units

Post by KAreil »

I know that the patrolling is a standard feature in WW1 titles, and the patrolling range is 2hex vs. 3hex for the partisans. I haven't checked if this is hardcoded or a ParameterFile value - I guess a value.

I'm not sure but when this feature was moved over into PzC and MC, wasn't it tied to the "Extended Patrolling" optional rule? I might be wrong there, but you should check if you have this activated.

Finally, the important thing that I got wrong in the beginning is that Patrolling does NOT generate a 2hex-Bubble that is protected from the partisan effects. Actually the partisan unit must be within the 2hex patrolling range to suppress its effect. This means that good maneuvers of the partisans can keep them effective because they have higher range.
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)
warhero88

Post by warhero88 »

Thank you! Your insights help. Did you find particular units are better at patrolling?
I'm playing V4.03 of Danube and don't see an "Extended patrolling" optional rule listed tho it is mentioned in the manual.
KAreil

Post by KAreil »

All units that can do patrolling are the same, they use this fixed value to negate the partisans.
Of course, smaller units that don't have much other use (like cavalry squadrons in Serbia'14) are ideal because you need your infantry for attacks. One other thing that I noticed far too late is that you can switch units to/from patrolling even when DISORDERED.
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)