Campaign Marengo, Stradella scenario?

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
John Roddy

Campaign Marengo, Stradella scenario?

Post by John Roddy »

Playing scenario #117, Stradella in Campagin Marengo and though it is labeled as Historical, well perhaps Historical doesn't mean quite what I assume, or? The scenario date is June 14, 1800 and Napoleon is present in the scenario which obviously cannot be accurate as he and a lot of the formations in the scenario were quite busy that day a little ways up the road at Marengo.

So, I assume the date is just a typo and that this is the situation a few days before Marengo. The armies were near Stradella around June 11th and I think I saw a reference to it raining on June 12th so I'm assuming this scenario represents the situation on perhaps June 11th. However, I find no reference so far to a battle at Stradella on or around that date.

So, can someone point me to a description of the action this scenario represents or is this instead some sort of lost opportunity that occurred during the maneuvering that led to Marengo? Thanks!
Bill-Peters

Re: Campaign Marengo, Stradella scenario?

Post by Bill-Peters »

Hi John - I will take a look at that and see what I can do about correcting it. As you point out, the text needs to be updated.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

Yes, its a variant scenario. I contacted Rich H. about it and it will be corrected. Its too long ago for me to remember exactly a lot about it but I think that:

1. Its a Variant scenario
2. Thus Napoleon(Bonaparte) should be there
3. The Scenario Description needs to not only include the (Variant) tag but also have something in the description that says something about it being a "What-If" situation.

It might have been an exact copy of a campaign scenario. I did that sometimes when I thought that the scenario looked good for a stand alone situation.
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

Thanks for the confirmation I wasn't imaging things! Incidentally, it is really quite a nice variant and it turned out to be quite a challenging scenario for my opponent and I. There is indeed an opportunity for the French to cut the Austrians off from the bridge and reduce the number of Austrian troops available a few day later at Marengo. What is even more interesting however is that if the French are not careful, they are outnumbered by the Austrians and there is an opportunity to isolate their arriving forces from each other and defeat each in detail. Wonderful scenario!
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

Glad you like it, John! Always like to hear that I got something right. ROFL

I like to think that I have a good handle on the play balance of scenarios though I know I could have improved in that area. Its not always easy knowing exactly how a scenario will play out and while I always had a robust team, we didn't have infinite amount of time to try them all out.

Carry on, sir!! <SALUTE>
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

I always appreciate the victory point fine tuning involved in creating a well balanced scenario, especially from the perspective of how that helps nudge play in more historical directions. The irony is though, I don't mind playing a disadvantage side as the only thing I'm really concerned with ultimately is whether a scenario is fairly historically accurate. Though an expert competitor, for me it is all about experiencing the historical situation as opposed to winning or losing.