Proper usage of dragoons

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
Trashperson

Proper usage of dragoons

Post by Trashperson »

Hi, I'm currently getting my first steps in Napoleonic battles series (and Napoleonic warfare in general) and I had a tactical question.
Is it in most cases a good idea to use dragoons as mounted ranged units? (can they even fire while mounted?). or should I treat then like WW2 motorized infantry and dismount when I am ready to fight?
TheGrayMouser

Re: Proper usage of dragoons

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Trashperson wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:38 am Hi, I'm currently getting my first steps in Napoleonic battles series (and Napoleonic warfare in general) and I had a tactical question.
Is it in most cases a good idea to use dragoons as mounted ranged units? (can they even fire while mounted?). or should I treat then like WW2 motorized infantry and dismount when I am ready to fight?
Whether they can shoot or not depends on the title and whatever the scenario designer designed them to do.

For the most part it’s best to use them as medium cavalry and keep them mounted, as was most often the case. (If the class is dragoon they get a 10% melee bonus on the attack )
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

I'll certainly second that, most of the time having them fight as cavalry is more useful, however, there will occasionally be situations where dismounting might be worth considering, especially in small patrol actions or some such.
Trashperson

Post by Trashperson »

Thank you both for the insight. I will take it to heart.