Wellington's Peninsular Campaign or another title?

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
bdtj1815

Wellington's Peninsular Campaign or another title?

Post by bdtj1815 »

I was thinking about buying Wellington's Peninsular Campaign as it is game of the week. I have been Napoleonic wargaming for decades, figures and computer. I have the Battleground games from the 90's.
My concern is that Wellington's Peninsular Campaign might be a bit "niche" and it might be better to try a more mainstream title, possibly Leipzig, Waterloo or Russia although I wouldn't be saving £7.80. I am particularly interested in finding PBEM opponents.
Look forward to your views.
John Spartan

Re: Wellington's Peninsular Campaign or another title?

Post by John Spartan »

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Napoleonic titles and I have about 10 of them.
Picked one that strikes your current fancy and go for it.
oz77

Post by oz77 »

In my view finding a PMEB opponent would not be a problem for either title, although it may be one extra day ot two to get an opponent for WPC. It's never been a problem to find an opponent on Napoleonic wargame club (NWC) and WDS opponent finder forum is gaining activity as well.

I guess it's all down to your interest in the particular army/theatre/campaign

I personally think British army is fun to lead as it has a distinct tactics relying on FP
PopeAdrian

Post by PopeAdrian »

Myself and my pbem opponent 'Bostonplayer' purchased wellington's peninsular campaign, so maybe a lot of other napoleonic enjoyers picked it up on the sale too. Probably wouldn't be difficult to find an opponent.
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

Well yes it possibly might sound a bit niche? Someone from WDS might chip in here to say how well it does in sales compared to other WDS Napoleonic titles.

The terrain is horrible and the Spanish can be hard to play but if the British are involved in the battle then they more than make up for it. <g>

I bought it for the allure of Wellington but I think people like it because it's different from the standard European Napoleonic battles and therefore offers a nice change. That's just my 2c.

I'd happily give you a game Brian.

Ian Dundee
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Plain Ian wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:59 pm Well yes it possibly might sound a bit niche? Someone from WDS might chip in here to say how well it does in sales compared to other WDS Napoleonic titles.
It's about "middle of the road" sales wise compared to the rest of the series. Not at the top, not at the bottom.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

:) Thanks Rich. Offer still stands Brian but I'm sure you will get others.

Andrews Bamford's insight in the blog was very interesting. I've always wondered how game designers shoe horned unit capabilities into just one called Morale. Its a pity he didn't give a few examples. Yes I realise that in the Napoleonic series it goes from 1-9 (or 0-9 in the manual) but it ends up with most infantry units rated as D-A?

The only other thing or dimension the can show differentiation between units is Fanaticism which I have see used once outside the normal Russian Campaign scenarios. Assigning individual leaders to each unit with their own traits to bolster or change each unit would help I guess but add more problems than it solved.

By the way I'm happy with the way things are so please don't judge these comments as moaning. 8-)

Ian in Dundee