Campaign Gburg: Forbidden Hex? Unwanted Melee

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
chosin3

Campaign Gburg: Forbidden Hex? Unwanted Melee

Post by chosin3 »

All

While playing Scenario 1. historical in Campaign Gettysburg, I have noticed two things.

First, no units of any kind can enter hex 77,51from the southwest (hex 76,51). I wasn't careful in recording this but will in the future, but there is one other hex with this problem. I'll continue to research this on my own but wonder if anyone else had had this happen.

Second: my unit captures a union artillery . Next turn I can fire it. Later I cannot. I cannot recrew it. OK, I get that. The problem i can't understand is that if I leave it without one of my units in the hex with it, it reverts to Union control - sort of. If alone, when I try to move an unaccompanied leader across that hex, I can't because the unit "is not allowed to melee". Same thing happens when I try to move an artillery unit across it. I haven't seen what happens if I try to move a supply wagon across it. Will it be captured? This is illogical. Anyone else noticed this?
Tex78

Re: Campaign Gburg: Forbidden Hex? Unwanted Melee

Post by Tex78 »

If you don’t leave units with the opponents unscrewed artillery you do not get points for capturing it. So if you must leave, spike it so neither side gets points for it.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

This is the reason why I prefer not to use the capture rule. I get the intent, but since I can't effectively control them without leaving a regiment to watch them I prefer to just have the guns eliminated when they're lost and the points awarded outright. I consider it an abstraction but it's better than having it become a liability (by having to garrison it)
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Tex78 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:19 pm If you don’t leave units with the opponents unscrewed artillery you do not get points for capturing it.
Not true. You get the points if they are not recaptured (Changelog 4.04).
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Like Larkin pointed out, this is no longer true. If you are playing with either 4.04 or 4.04.1 then points remain with the capturing side regardless if the guns are manned or not - unless the original owner re-captures them.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager