Help on symbol over unit

Forum for the Panzer Battles games series
edujglez

Help on symbol over unit

Post by edujglez »

Hello,

Sorry if it is obvious, but I don´t find the meaning of this symbol anywhere...
1.png
1.png (100.52 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Thanks!
KAreil

Re: Help on symbol over unit

Post by KAreil »

Isn't that the symbol the mouse cursor transforms is you have switched from the default "move" mode to "Fire" mode?

Personally and I think most players always stay in "move" mode and use Ctrl+click to fire, but you can switch over to "Fire" mode with a button...but I've just checked and the symbol looks different...at least in the current version.
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)
edujglez

Post by edujglez »

The thing is that the symbols appear when the "red rounded" unit in the far right tries to fire into the enemy stack on the left. It's almost like the allied unit with the symbol "is in the middle of the line of fire", preventing the rightmost unit from firing...
Last edited by edujglez on Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That symbol appears when line-of-sight is blocked by terrain at that hex.
You can check the status bar at the bottom and it should tell you the reason. Are you playing with hex slopes and contours off? There's probably a difference in elevation between the shooter and the target.
WDS Support
edujglez

Post by edujglez »

Carlos wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm That symbol appears when line-of-sight is blocked by terrain at that hex.
You can check the status bar at the bottom and it should tell you the reason. Are you playing with hex slopes and contours off? There's probably a difference in elevation between the shooter and the target.
almost!... elevation is the same for all hexes, but:
1.png
1.png (18.1 KiB) Viewed 225 times
So it's that unit the one blocking LOS. Maybe because density... I have searched the manual but I do not see anything related to density. Wrecks do block visibility, but foot soldiers?
Not complaining, it's a fair enough thing: you do not want to fire "through" your own men. But it wasn't all that clear (unless I'm missing some particular section of the manual :mrgreen: )
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

edujglez wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:14 pm So it's that unit the one blocking LOS. Maybe because density... I have searched the manual but I do not see anything related to density. Wrecks do block visibility, but foot soldiers?
Not complaining, it's a fair enough thing: you do not want to fire "through" your own men. But it wasn't all that clear (unless I'm missing some particular section of the manual :mrgreen: )
Ah yes, I believe this is undocumented. Does the number of men at (19,23) exceed half the Maximum Stacking defined in the Parameter Data?
WDS Support
edujglez

Post by edujglez »

It does, indeed!
1.png
1.png (169.82 KiB) Viewed 194 times
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yes that's the reason. I don't think it's mentioned in the manual, but if the stacking is more than half maximum it will block LOS.
This info will probably be included in the next update.
WDS Support
edujglez

Post by edujglez »

Carlos wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:06 pm Yes that's the reason. I don't think it's mentioned in the manual, but if the stacking is more than half maximum it will block LOS.
This info will probably be included in the next update.
It makes sense. Thanks!