what's your favorite pzc games

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
RichLink

Re: what's your favorite pzc games

Post by RichLink »

Bulge `44. Lots of no going back decisions for the Germans.
PaulSan

Post by PaulSan »

Dad was in the US 7th Armored Division, 440th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. He started out in basic training as an M7 Priest driver, but when he arrived in North Africa he was changed to a Command Car driver. This probably saved his life as I believe his M7 company was wiped out in North Africa. He said he spent a lot of time in Dinant, Belgium during the Bulge.
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

I'm surprised to see Sicily 44' come up a lot in these lists?
Lethal2615

Post by Lethal2615 »

IMHO you cannot go past the great battles of the Ostfront! Hard to pick a favorite - too many good titles and not enough time to play them all thoroughly! Although I am enjoying the recent ostfront releases. I suspect that Budapest 45 could be a standout but have not played it enough.

Bulge 44 should satisfy your hidden military policeman dreams - traffic congestion in spades!

Scheldt 44 - could it be muddier than the eastern front! Very interesting campaign in dreadful conditions.

Normandy 44 - jungle fighting in France!

Nah, give me the wide open lands of the steppe - even with the rasputitsa!
alpeck01

Post by alpeck01 »

I've played France '40 a lot. Specially liked the Netherlands sector, it's pretty tough.

Have played Bulge 44 a lot as well as Holland 44. (Market-Garden)

Smolensk 41 is really a great game, better than I expected. Yes, Germans are still on the offensive but Russians have some interesting opportunities. The great big scenario where there is an almost closed pocket around Smolensk is terrific.
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

Plain Ian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm I'm surprised to see Sicily 44' come up a lot in these lists?
Are you not fond of this game Ian ?

Just curious :)
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

If i need made a top 3 for me they are:

1-Budapest45, because offers to me all i want in a title, medium scens, with a lot of tactical options and covering not well know battles with an interesting range of "special units" or non top armies, like the SS cavalry units or the Hungarian troops.

2-Tunis43, like in Budapest45 it offers to me all i want in a PzC title.

3-Stalingrad42, for me was the best entry title for the serie and offer for me one of the best scens you can play, "Breakout of Group Zhuravlev", i relly love this scen. Is one of the 3 wargaming "black holes" and is covered in a loooooot of games but i find it avery complete title.

3.5- Scheltd44, is one of the newest titles in the serie, the last one in the West area, but like the previous titles, offer what i want.

I need leave here an empty slot, call it 1.5 for the future Spring Awakening45 because for me, is the 2nd part of Budapest45 and i expect find here same good vibes.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

LordDeadwood wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:22 pm I haven't played them all by any means, but among the ones I have played I really enjoyed Salerno, Sicily, Normandy, and France 40. I'm a sucker for an invasion scenario. Haven't tried Sea Lion yet but it will probably be soon!
Sea Lion is deceptively good. By that I mean it is far from the usual invasion game. There is almost no chance of the Brits winning a battle on the beaches, they must play the long view. But there are subtle advantages for the Allies (such as a 2:1 replacement ratio and a much better supply situation just to name a couple) that can really contribute to the strategy. The British player must be patient and organized, the Germans will struggle later in the game.
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

RichLink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am
Plain Ian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm I'm surprised to see Sicily 44' come up a lot in these lists?
Are you not fond of this game Ian ?

Just curious :)
Well just surprised in that I wouldn't expect to see it in the top 3 list of WDS games or anywhere near the top. Bulge yes. Stalingrad yes. Kursk maybe. They are all iconic battles or military situations. Sicily has a bit of a 'back water battle' type feel but none the less an important battle or mini camapaign. I'm sure I've read that the invasion was actually bigger operation than DDay?

As to the game there is a lot to like about it which I think came out quite early on in the HPS catalogue.....maybe someone can correct me as I'm going from memory?

As someone pointed out there are no map edges and you have the whole of the island to play on!
The strategic decisions which are available to players in some of the campaign scenarios which I think were a bit of a novelty.
A nice diversity in units to play with from the usual elite Germans to the inept (unfairly) Italians with Brits and Yanks in the middle.
And a campaign which has a bit of everything...invasion...a little exploitation hopefully...and some set piece slug fests.

What I didn't like?
The terrain. Its awful and you soon find that there might be roads to speed things up but they all go the wrong way or lead you down dark alleys.
And speaking of roads. When playing the Allies turn the sound off or else the sound of wheeeee kaboooom as you get Axis Air Interdicted every time you try and move something forward quickly ruins your turn. I still get flashbacks of seeing fresh units units reduced to wrecks before they have even got close to the front line.

So I guess I'm pleasantly surprised to see it doing well. Apologies for the usual havering...... :D
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Must confess, Sicily would be one of my favourites. I enjoy landing, pausing to build up my forces, then heading in land, and the full campaign allows time to do this. As mentioned already, having the entire area mapped is another plus.