OOB problem

Forum to share all game modifications
Aragorn2002

OOB problem

Post by Aragorn2002 »

I'm adjusting the OOB Stalingrad 42 Nov Alt McNamara. For the 16. Panzer Div, Panzer Rgt 2 it shows 31 vehicles (tanks) divided over 6 Panzer companies. In the scenario however only two Panzer companies are visible, with a total of 31 vehicles. Why aren't there 6 units (each of them with 5 to 6 vehicles) instead of only 2 (with all 31 vehicles)?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.
Aragorn2002

Re: OOB problem

Post by Aragorn2002 »

I found the answer. Using the breakdown button, each unit can be divided in the editor.
FilipSK

Post by FilipSK »

Hello,

working on some project in Stalingrad?
I have one ongoing for a very long time and I´m finally reaching a point of being able to playtest soon.
I think I know all the editors very well by this time to be able to answer any questions.
Aragorn2002

Post by Aragorn2002 »

Sounds interesting! What kind of Stalingrad scenario are you making, if I may ask? Personally I'm missing a scenario which starts at the beginning of Wintergewitter and includes the cauldron of the 6th Army, so Wintergewitter can be combined with Donnerschlag. So an alternative scenario which should have been included in the first place, I think.
FilipSK

Post by FilipSK »

I´m on the other side of the time schudule - beginning at the beginning in July.
Basically a new version of the Don Bend battles. It´ll be multiple scenarios. And once this is finished I will move further in time.
But it will be a major overhaul of the rules and values that are used in actual version, that I can "promise" :)

But, working with the editors for years now so I know all the tricks it can put on you :D
Aragorn2002

Post by Aragorn2002 »

The Don Bend battles sound equally interesting. Looking forward to your work.

I'm planning to reinforce Wintergewitter with one or two Panzer divions (may be far fetched, but I like alternative battles), to see what the effect will be.

Glad to meet an expert like yourself, so I can ask a question when I experience problems.
FilipSK

Post by FilipSK »

It will still take some time to finish, but it´s nearer to finish than ever. I just have to maintain my pace now.

Your idea sounds interesting too, looking forward.

Two most important tips I had to learn the hard way many years ago and that could spare you from frustration :D

Always try to have your OOB finished as much as possible, before you´ll start putting your units on the map. There is a big danger involved here - let´s say you have an XY unit already on the map using the scenario editor, and then you will decide to replace it in the OOB. If you will delete it in the OOB once it is saved on the map, next time you will open the scenario editor, it will crash, all your work gone, it will never recover as far as I know. Just because it couldn´t track that unit to the OOB, which also makes sense.

So we get to the second tip - always create back-up of both the scenario file and the oob. Especially after big changes or a good chunk of work.
I´m saving both files in a separate order, so anytime like that would happen again, I won´t loose too much work.

In case of any questions, let me know :)
Aragorn2002

Post by Aragorn2002 »

I've already learned these lessons the hard way, but I'm sure I can learn a lot from you, thank you for your kind offer.

I do have a question. I want to remove a division from a OOB. The division isn't on the map yet when I open the scenario. How can I see where it will turn up and more importantly, how can I remove it from both the scenario and the OOB?
FilipSK

Post by FilipSK »

So you mean that the division arrives as reinforcements later in the scenario right?

That should be doable in the following way: There is a reinforcements dialog you have to open, it lists all the arriving reinforcements as you surely know. You have to select those units that you want to get rid of and press Delete one by one. It will place them back on the map. Once all of the units are on the map from that division, you can delete them from the map - shortcut "X".

Once the whole division is cleared from the reinforcements dialog and from the map itself, it is safe to clear it from the OOB file.

This is how I remember it currently, can´t check it at the moment.
Strela

Post by Strela »

FilipSK wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:38 am
Always try to have your OOB finished as much as possible, before you´ll start putting your units on the map. There is a big danger involved here - let´s say you have an XY unit already on the map using the scenario editor, and then you will decide to replace it in the OOB. If you will delete it in the OOB once it is saved on the map, next time you will open the scenario editor, it will crash, all your work gone, it will never recover as far as I know. Just because it couldn´t track that unit to the OOB, which also makes sense.

See here for how to handle an error like the one you described above: viewtopic.php?p=8073#p8073

The most important thing do NOT save a scenario file in the editor when it shows an error. That will permanently break the scenario. You must text edit it, see the other entries in the thread I linked to above on how to handle it.