Campaign Jena - Prussians static

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
goddard.c@sky.com

Campaign Jena - Prussians static

Post by goddard.c@sky.com »

I am 125 turns into Campaign Jena controlling the French with Prussians set to AI control. Apart from moving a load of supply units every Prussian combat unit is static. My various French Corps are marching up the board from the South avoiding Prussian units until I get near the Victory hexes. Are the Prussians going to move or is something fundamental broken? Thought I would ask here before sending in a ticket
PaulSan

Re: Campaign Jena - Prussians static

Post by PaulSan »

I'm betting that it has to do with the AI is not very good with large campaigns the farther you get into them. This has been alluded to off and on in the past.
oz77

Post by oz77 »

In my view AI cannot handle the operational layer due to its complexity involving numerous variables and considerations. In fact, in scenarios involving large maps and armies, even most human players would struggle to plan and coordinate long-range maneuvers effectively.

From my experience, AI is ok only for handling small, static head-on battles, typically taking a defensive stance. However, it will still give you a challenge at a level below that of a human player with limited or none experience. and it will fail badly on offensive of any scale.

Playing PBEM opens up a much more enjoyable world, and once you experience it, you'll likely never go back to AI
Dion

Post by Dion »

Out of the approximate 1,000 computerized wargames (general titles, not one specific title) I've played, 99% of them were against the AI. If the Automatic Idiot (I mean Artificial Intelligence, or better known as the AI) starts to play with perfection, more like a computer than a human that makes mistakes, I think I'll feel pretty foolish for even thinking an enhanced AI could even be capable of good sportsmanship. If that thing becomes my best friend, I think I will become more like a zombie than a person. It will probably end up sapping my soul, like one of them crystal ball Palantír things from Lord of the Rings. I think oz77 has it right, PBEM is the way to go!

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to all the updates and enhancement as much as the next guy, I just hope the AI doesn't become too powerful.
goddard.c@sky.com

Talking with the helpful people at Helpdesk I will have to control the Prussians as well
Dion

Post by Dion »

No matter how sophisticated the AI gets, it may never be capable of adjusting for the unknown. But in this case, since the Prussians are static their probably have prepared defensive positions, which means you'll probably end up taking a lot of casualties due to attrition, something that the AI is really good at, so watch out, never underestimate your opponent, even the AI. The AI can be ruthless when it has time and has you outnumbered.
Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

With generative AI becoming a possibility in the near future we could see a revolution in how we play. Imagine an AI opponent that can learn and improve with each performance, it will soon be impossible to win - but imagine it being able to incorporate all written knowledge about any given conflict and being able to present you with an opponent who has the ability and weaknesses of the actual commanders of the battle. You could play out battles AI vs AI and they would give you historical simulations within the engine capabilities of all commanders present at the time. You could also choose to only play a specific command and have the AI play the rest of the men for you - or any variation. It all sounds super fun to me.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Ashcloud wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:07 am With generative AI becoming a possibility in the near future we could see a revolution in how we play. Imagine an AI opponent that can learn and improve with each performance, it will soon be impossible to win - but imagine it being able to incorporate all written knowledge about any given conflict and being able to present you with an opponent who has the ability and weaknesses of the actual commanders of the battle. You could play out battles AI vs AI and they would give you historical simulations within the engine capabilities of all commanders present at the time. You could also choose to only play a specific command and have the AI play the rest of the men for you - or any variation. It all sounds super fun to me.
Giving control to sub commands ( and losing Los for those units) and thus depending on the ai “commander” tell you how good it’s doing in relation to your orders would be awesome. Would it lie, I wonder?
goddard.c@sky.com

Dion wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:42 am No matter how sophisticated the AI gets, it may never be capable of adjusting for the unknown. But in this case, since the Prussians are static their probably have prepared defensive positions, which means you'll probably end up taking a lot of casualties due to attrition, something that the AI is really good at, so watch out, never underestimate your opponent, even the AI. The AI can be ruthless when it has time and has you outnumbered.
At the moment they are covering some approaches but only one force is in the way of a victory objective so I can ignore them which is not ideal (in game terms that is)
Dion

Post by Dion »

Sounds like your pretty much overrunning his positions, though that one Prussian force might mobilize itself. The AI seems to "wake up", or becomes more active when the game gets desperate, so don't underestimate the AI and think there will be absolutely no resistance. Good Luck!