Attached Artillery Unit

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Lethal2615

Attached Artillery Unit

Post by Lethal2615 »

Spring Awakening
#45 0313 39 I SS Pnzr Simontornya

The 135th Gds Arty Regt belongs to the 66th Gds Rifle Division.
The Div has been attached to the =>135th Rifle Corps, more accurately 135GAR has been attached.

When 135GAR is selected there are no Indirect Fire spotters (B) for it.
As it is attached to 135RC, I thought its sub-units would be able to spot for it.
135RC units do highlight when cycling through Higher Org highlight.

Am I missing something? thx
Strela

Re: Attached Artillery Unit

Post by Strela »

It looks like an error to me. None of that division (66th Gds) are on-map or arriving as reinforcements.

I will get Cesar to review.
Indragnir

Post by Indragnir »

Lethal2615 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:34 pm Spring Awakening
#45 0313 39 I SS Pnzr Simontornya

The 135th Gds Arty Regt belongs to the 66th Gds Rifle Division.
The Div has been attached to the =>135th Rifle Corps, more accurately 135GAR has been attached.

When 135GAR is selected there are no Indirect Fire spotters (B) for it.
As it is attached to 135RC, I thought its sub-units would be able to spot for it.
135RC units do highlight when cycling through Higher Org highlight.

Am I missing something? thx
As David stated: it's an error. That unit should not be there. Thank you for reporting.
Lethal2615

Post by Lethal2615 »

Thanks for the quick response!

In that particular scenario there are other Soviet units that are "attached". But it is not an issue as they are direct fire ATG - ie don't use spotters.

I'm guessing that attachment of indirect fire units is a possibility for players and scenario designers. That being the case, shouldn't the formation they are attached to "spot" for them? In the example, 135RC.
Strela

Post by Strela »

Lethal2615 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:46 pm Thanks for the quick response!

In that particular scenario there are other Soviet units that are "attached". But it is not an issue as they are direct fire ATG - ie don't use spotters.

I'm guessing that attachment of indirect fire units is a possibility for players and scenario designers. That being the case, shouldn't the formation they are attached to "spot" for them? In the example, 135RC.
No, that won't work as it is in a divisional structure. Only units from that division can spot for it. If that was allowed, all divisional artillery could fire based upon spotting from every other unit in the Corps. There is an art to getting units to fire at Corps level that I really don't want to go too deeply into here :)