Attacking in latter Winter War Scenarios

Forum for the Squad Battles games series
Koldobika

Attacking in latter Winter War Scenarios

Post by Koldobika »

I have been experiencing a lot of 'no effect' results even when using on-map artillery such as 75mm Infantry Guns used by the Germans in the later scenarios in Winter War - in particular within "Last Grasp of Platinfuchs".

Neither infantry guns nor heavy MGs seem to be able to disrupt Soviet defenders in improved positions.

Is this working as intended? I get that it should be somewhat challenging to assault these sort of positions, but that being said if "disrupted" is intended to mimic short term suppression, I feel that should be fairly easy to achieve. Any level of fire is going to make troops, even in the best positions cower and be less effective in returning fire, which is the very essence of fire and manoeuvre warfare.

I can understand pounding away without any significant casualty results, but suppression itself is almost guaranteed in reality if you think about sitting in a foxhole with artillery / HMG fire landing around you no?

Perhaps I am just bad 8-)
Warhorse

Re: Attacking in latter Winter War Scenarios

Post by Warhorse »

In my mod, I upped the high loss to 90 instead of 60, feels more realistic. In the parameter file near the bottom.
Live now, pay later...
Koldobika

Post by Koldobika »

Warhorse wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:56 pm In my mod, I upped the high loss to 90 instead of 60, feels more realistic. In the parameter file near the bottom.
Thanks Mike

Could you explain to a peasant like me what difference the "high loss" number makes?

Cheers
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Koldobika wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:31 pm
Warhorse wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:56 pm In my mod, I upped the high loss to 90 instead of 60, feels more realistic. In the parameter file near the bottom.
Thanks Mike

Could you explain to a peasant like me what difference the "high loss" number makes?

Cheers
Seems to evoke more kills the higher the number. My old version had it at 120, and it was good, but since the new range attenuation I had to back it off to 90.Try it once, you will see!
Live now, pay later...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Koldobika wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:11 pm I have been experiencing a lot of 'no effect' results even when using on-map artillery such as 75mm Infantry Guns used by the Germans in the later scenarios in Winter War - in particular within "Last Grasp of Platinfuchs".

Neither infantry guns nor heavy MGs seem to be able to disrupt Soviet defenders in improved positions.

Is this working as intended? I get that it should be somewhat challenging to assault these sort of positions, but that being said if "disrupted" is intended to mimic short term suppression, I feel that should be fairly easy to achieve. Any level of fire is going to make troops, even in the best positions cower and be less effective in returning fire, which is the very essence of fire and manoeuvre warfare.

I can understand pounding away without any significant casualty results, but suppression itself is almost guaranteed in reality if you think about sitting in a foxhole with artillery / HMG fire landing around you no?

It's meant to be very tough. Check those improved Russian positions - not only are they are placed on Rough terrain (adding extra protection), but they also get a substantial protection bonus from the "Cliff" hexsides, meaning they are extremely resistant to direct fire from the front.

Modifying the loss parameters won't make much difference in this case as the weapons cannot connect effectively with their targets. Cracking this will require a bit of maneuvering.
WDS Support
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:48 pm
Koldobika wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:11 pm I have been experiencing a lot of 'no effect' results even when using on-map artillery such as 75mm Infantry Guns used by the Germans in the later scenarios in Winter War - in particular within "Last Grasp of Platinfuchs".

It's meant to be very tough. Check those improved Russian positions - not only are they are placed on Rough terrain (adding extra protection), but they also get a substantial protection bonus from the "Cliff" hexsides, meaning they are extremely resistant to direct fire from the front.

Modifying the loss parameters won't make much difference in this case as the weapons cannot connect effectively with their targets. Cracking this will require a bit of maneuvering.
This is true, I was saying in general I and others think losses in general are too low, I changed that in my mod, and feel it is better for me and my mod. That is the beauty of it!
Live now, pay later...
Koldobika

Post by Koldobika »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:48 pm

See now I'm glad I asked :D

I didn't even notice the cliffs, even less considered that impact...

I will fire it up soon and we go again.

Cheers Carlos
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Koldobika wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:40 pm See now I'm glad I asked :D

Cheers Carlos
Good luck, that looks like it's one tough scenario! Are you playing with FOW on?
WDS Support
Koldobika

Post by Koldobika »

Carlos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:12 am
Koldobika wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:40 pm See now I'm glad I asked :D

Cheers Carlos
Good luck, that looks like it's one tough scenario! Are you playing with FOW on?
I am. I'll post here in-case someone sees this.

I didn't end up changing any of the parameters.

I gave it another go and it's certainly do-able despite my rants. I failed to see that you only actually need to capture a couple of the points for a total victory:
Screenshot 2024-04-09 153704.png
Screenshot 2024-04-09 153623.png
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Congrats! :)
WDS Support