Campaign Antietam / ACW Campaigns?

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
Bigmartin

Campaign Antietam / ACW Campaigns?

Post by Bigmartin »

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum so please be patient. I love the old BG series and, having just noticed that they are all re-released under the WDS banner I promptly invested in Campaign Antietam. I have some questions if I may?

Firstly, what is the 'supply range' for supply wagons. I've tried the rulebook and really struggling but I'm sure I've probably just overlooked it?

Secondly, does a leader rally (or attempt to rally) all units within it's command area? Or just units which it shares a hex with? If both, then does it help rally units more effectively if in hex?

Thirdly, in a scenario or campaign, there doesn't seem to really be a well-defined victory condition? Or am I missing it? Am I right in thinking it's just a case of trying to smash the opposition up to as great an extent as possible? Even the 'flags' do not seem to be worthy targets, their point values seem to be quite lowly and they often seem undefended against even a small cavalry regiment marauding behind the main lines. There doesn't seem to be any 'demand' that certain flags be taken for victory which seems strange. This leads to situations thus far for me where I easily adopt reverse terrain strategies and smash my opposition who slavishly attack.

Fourthly, the AI for my opposition seems completely stupid. I regularly notice units wobbling around in the back field, achieving nothing. And in instances where the prime objective would be to get those units forward, they seem to regularly manage a couple of hexes of movement in Brigade, when it's possibly on turnpikes to move a dozen hexes (ish).

Are these all 'known issues' or am I missing something?

Please note, these are NOT complaints. More observations. I'm enjoying the games immensely notwithstanding any confusion I may have.
rahamy

Re: Campaign Antietam / ACW Campaigns?

Post by rahamy »

Welcome to the forum, comments below.
Bigmartin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:22 am Hi guys. I'm new to this forum so please be patient. I love the old BG series and, having just noticed that they are all re-released under the WDS banner I promptly invested in Campaign Antietam. I have some questions if I may?
While similar, this is not accurate. These games had the same programmer as the Battleground titles, but they were completely re-written from the ground up when John split from Talonsoft back in the late 90's.

The games published by WDS are his newer engines, with, in most cases at this point, considerable enhancement and refinement.
Firstly, what is the 'supply range' for supply wagons. I've tried the rulebook and really struggling but I'm sure I've probably just overlooked it?
Just to be sure, you should be referencing the User Manual (User.pdf) not the General Help File - as that is very limited, and focuses on the interface and game controls.

Answer is - 5 hexes - this is on page 50 of the latest version of the user manual, under section 5.7.4 Supply.

I can also see where that should be added under the Unit definitions in 4.1.7, so we'll get that change made for a future revision.
Secondly, does a leader rally (or attempt to rally) all units within it's command area? Or just units which it shares a hex with? If both, then does it help rally units more effectively if in hex?
Units will be impacted if within the command range, however they stand a better chance of recovery when stacked with their leader, or a leader from up their command chain.

See the user manual, beginning in section 5.7 for a detailed discussion on Force Management.
Thirdly, in a scenario or campaign, there doesn't seem to really be a well-defined victory condition? Or am I missing it? Am I right in thinking it's just a case of trying to smash the opposition up to as great an extent as possible? Even the 'flags' do not seem to be worthy targets, their point values seem to be quite lowly and they often seem undefended against even a small cavalry regiment marauding behind the main lines. There doesn't seem to be any 'demand' that certain flags be taken for victory which seems strange. This leads to situations thus far for me where I easily adopt reverse terrain strategies and smash my opposition who slavishly attack.
The Victory Screen will show you the requirements to obtain victory, which can be obtained by a combination of taking and holding objective hexes, inflicting losses on the opposing side & keeping your losses in check. Often times there will be a text description in the scenario introduction as well.
Fourthly, the AI for my opposition seems completely stupid. I regularly notice units wobbling around in the back field, achieving nothing. And in instances where the prime objective would be to get those units forward, they seem to regularly manage a couple of hexes of movement in Brigade, when it's possibly on turnpikes to move a dozen hexes (ish).

Are these all 'known issues' or am I missing something?

Please note, these are NOT complaints. More observations. I'm enjoying the games immensely notwithstanding any confusion I may have.
Scroll down the scenario list and beginning with scenario #143 you will have "AL Challenge" versions which have had scripting done to provide more structure for the AI to operate under.

As a general rule of thumb, the smaller the map, the better the AI will perform. Additionally, it also does better on the defense.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Also, I see you bought this before our update that was released yesterday, which includes a refined user manual, so be sure to apply that update when you can:

https://wargameds.com/pages/updates-civil-war-battles
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Bigmartin

Post by Bigmartin »

Thank you very much indeed for responding. Really appreciate the advice. Started one of the AL Challenge scenarios earlier and immediately see a difference. Fantastic.

These games are amazing by the way. The level of detail is just fantastic. I find myself playing the game with Google open next to me so's I can look up the units, the leaders and so forth. I was already interested in the American Civil War right back to playing Avalon Hill's Bull Run as a kid. This game has rejuvenated that interest immensely
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Also check out the Designer Notes (Notes.pdf) in the \Manuals folder, they're usually full of interesting details on the game and its development.
WDS Support