How do i crack this nut? (Bulge '44 Getting Started Scenerio)

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Tony

How do i crack this nut? (Bulge '44 Getting Started Scenerio)

Post by Tony »

Here's what i'm looking at. Historically, the Golden Lions lose but as the Axis player i get DESTROYED. And this is just the Getting Started scenario!
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 11.13.35.png

I put the four VPs in stars (the top left gives you VPs if you leave the board). The blue line is where the image at the end of this message ends, the historical way.

I also have the Fixed Units on as you can see by the yellow squares.

My inclination is to go around the Schnee Eifel even though history says to go straight at it.

How do you beat this scenario? One of the trickiest things is moving then setting up artillery in a timely manner. 14 turns is QUICK. I can't even imagine having one unit reach Amel (Ambleve)!

WHAT DO I DO?!
W-Oct22-106th-ID-MAP-1final-1150x878.jpg
Digglyda

Re: How do i crack this nut? (Bulge '44 Getting Started Scenerio)

Post by Digglyda »

I have ALL the Panzer Campaigns. Bulge '44 is probably my least favourite or the one that sticks out in my mind for being *odd* in some way.
Certainly it seems a lot gamier than the others ( to my mind at least ).

But anyway:
DON'T try for the exit hex. Not enough time.
DON'T move your artillery. Not enough time.
DON'T assault the min American line directly.

Go round each flank and aim to take the 2x 50pt objectives.
Aim to disrupt best available target as they present. Hit them in the open and do as much damage as possible: pick targets in the open over ones with any defensive bonus.

Big problem I have found is the American have such an abundance of individual units ( 32 total ) that it just gets easily out of hand against your German force ( 16x total ). The AI usually blows the bridge at Schonberg.

I have found a draw can reliably be predicted. As an instruction to basic game it is fine. It is not at all *easy* though.
Be surprised if any German player can gain much of a victory on this one.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Diggylyda,

I'm a Bulgist so it breaks my heart to hear that this is a mid-tier game (my words). A guy on the Blitz beat this with just killing Americans and getting NO VPs. I've existed out the top twice, once with a tank and the other with two groups. The reward is something like 35 VPs! Pfft.

I wanna play this campaign but i'm afraid that if i can't even get a minor victory in the #00 file, why even waste my time? Meanwhile, i can win (barely) most other intro scenarios.

The AI ALWAYS blows the so the ONLY way to get to the two victory markers across L'Our River is through the top two hexes at Holzheim. That's literally it!
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

As you have seen at the Blitz thread on this subject, experienced players know that an objective location is really "only interesting" and the real goal in almost all scenarios is the enemy forces. While the introduction of variable objectives has changed the dynamic slightly, and in some few scenarios the VP value of specific objectives is so high as to render them critical, in most cases you can win without worrying about taking objectives but killing the enemy, or in killing the enemy make the taking of objectives an administrative function near end game. And when you stop and think about it, that is as it should be.
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller
Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

Steel God wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:26 am As you have seen at the Blitz thread on this subject, experienced players know that an objective location is really "only interesting" and the real goal in almost all scenarios is the enemy forces. While the introduction of variable objectives has changed the dynamic slightly, and in some few scenarios the VP value of specific objectives is so high as to render them critical, in most cases you can win without worrying about taking objectives but killing the enemy, or in killing the enemy make the taking of objectives an administrative function near end game. And when you stop and think about it, that is as it should be.
Can we get a link the the blitz thread?
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

Ashcloud wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:58 am
Steel God wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:26 am As you have seen at the Blitz thread on this subject, experienced players know that an objective location is really "only interesting" and the real goal in almost all scenarios is the enemy forces. While the introduction of variable objectives has changed the dynamic slightly, and in some few scenarios the VP value of specific objectives is so high as to render them critical, in most cases you can win without worrying about taking objectives but killing the enemy, or in killing the enemy make the taking of objectives an administrative function near end game. And when you stop and think about it, that is as it should be.
At your command (done with my best Cylon voice impression): https://www.theblitz.club/message_board ... ?tid=76451
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller
Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

Steel God wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:05 pm
Ashcloud wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:58 am
At your command (done with my best Cylon voice impression): https://www.theblitz.club/message_board ... ?tid=76451
Than you, kind Sir.