2D Units Graphics Mods

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
Compass Rose

Re: 2D Units Graphics Mods

Post by Compass Rose »

PandaGuy1961 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:42 pm Hi

I a visually impaired and cannot use the 3D views in the Napoleonic Games

are there any mods out there for 2D units.. that I might find easier to see?

The last mods I could use were by Volcano Man. This a set for Waterloo.

Recent changes to the maps make them unusable now.

2D Units Large.PNG

any help appreciated.

Sorry to hear about what you are dealing with however, you are really in a hard spot as basically all of the old art mods that were released for the NAP series are outdated and will not work properly with the newer released WDS versions.

The only NAP mods that I know that will work on the WDS versions, can be found here:

viewforum.php?f=48

Other than that, unless you can locate a good hearted person who could help you design a new 2D Symbols file, you may be forced to have to play the last updated JTS versions.

Good Luck
nukkxx

Post by nukkxx »

PandaGuy1961 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:20 pm so what is involved in designing my own unit counters for 2D?

what software do I need?
I'm using paint3D, it's the drawing software that comes with windows10. It's simple to use and does the job. No need for more sophisticated tool.
Campaign Gettysburg, Campaign Leipzig, Campaign Waterloo, Danube Front '85, East Prussia '14, El Alamein '42, France '14, France '40, Japan '45, Modern War, Moscow '41, Republican Bayonets on the Rhine, Serbia '14, Stalingrad '42, Middle East '67.
nukkxx

Post by nukkxx »

Hi, for those interested, I have also modded the 2D rivers and canals for the PzC and modern Campaign titles so that they can easily been distinguished from streams. In the original version it was too difficult to distinguish them.

It's very easy to do. You just need to find the hexside bmp file in the 'map' directory and repaint the colors to your taste. [3 files names for 3 zoom levels are: 2DHexSides50.bmp ; 2DHexSides100.bmp ; 2DHexSides200.bmp]

Have a look >>>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wayv7v2abnxt ... s.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x23mi5520z4j5 ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekknn4dyit5vs ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu8jpize1nle8 ... 4.jpg?dl=0

I attach the files for those interested. Standard disclaimer applies + !! Always keep a backup of original files before overwriting with the new files !!
rivers_canals.zip
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Or just do the same thing with Paint3D if you want to try different colors (or do a better job :mrgreen: ).
Campaign Gettysburg, Campaign Leipzig, Campaign Waterloo, Danube Front '85, East Prussia '14, El Alamein '42, France '14, France '40, Japan '45, Modern War, Moscow '41, Republican Bayonets on the Rhine, Serbia '14, Stalingrad '42, Middle East '67.
PandaGuy1961

Post by PandaGuy1961 »

so exactly how do I go about making my own 2D counters?
nukkxx

Post by nukkxx »

You take the 3 files with the 2D counters (one file per zoom level) and you repaint them as you wish using paint3D (or any other drawing program).
Look at the example here in my link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhd7mmdml431l ... h.zip?dl=0

In this example, I just changed the highlighting color from the original thin yellow outline to a fat white outline. 3 files for 3 zoom levels. I also added a small French flag on the counter for the largest 2D zoom-in view
PandaGuy1961

Post by PandaGuy1961 »

so this will not work.. me trying to do it myself..

I might be willing to pay someone to do it?

send me a private message if u are interested
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

I would suggest you try the Map Ferrais 4.01 mod: viewtopic.php?t=244
It contains two parts, 2D units and 2D maps covering all the Napoleonic titles. You can use the 2D units on their own if the 2D maps are not to your liking, or the other way arround.

This is my go-to mod for both the Nap games aswell as it's twin mod for the 7 Years War game as I love the visual clearity of both the maps and the units. I find it gives that authentic feel of linear warfare in 2D that I find lacking in the stock 2D.

However due to the latest 4.03 update of the Nap game series you have to add an a, b or c to the end of the mod unit files and choose the corresponding 2D unit choice in the settings menu in game. The map part of the mod work with the 4.03 version of the games.
PandaGuy1961

Post by PandaGuy1961 »

any new 2d UNIT counter mods out there