Defensive fire

Forum for the Squad Battles games series
midgard30

Defensive fire

Post by midgard30 »

Hi,

It's been many years that I'm looking for a squad level game on the battle for Stalingrad, and here it is, right in my face for so long without being aware of its existence! As I always had little interest in John Tiller's games in the past, I'm very glad that WDS took back the titles, and I discover what seems to be a great system.

I just bought AotR and so far I'm very pleased with it. The manuals are exactly as I like them to be: short paragraphs, straight to the point, bullet list, topics easy to find and well explained. Except for one thing: opportunity fire (or rather Defensive fire). Not a word!

So now I'm playing the first scenario (assault on red October) and wondering what are the mechanics behind it? For instance:
  • How many times a defensive unit is allowed to fire (same as Offensive)?
  • If a unit doesn't use all or some of its offensive fire, does it get more opportunities in defensive fire?
  • What are the triggering conditions?
  • At what range does it fire?
Thanks
Carlos

Re: Defensive fire

Post by Carlos »

midgard30 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:52 pm I just bought AotR and so far I'm very pleased with it. The manuals are exactly as I like them to be: short paragraphs, straight to the point, bullet list, topics easy to find and well explained. Except for one thing: opportunity fire (or rather Defensive fire). Not a word!

So now I'm playing the first scenario (assault on red October) and wondering what are the mechanics behind it? For instance:
  • How many times a defensive unit is allowed to fire (same as Offensive)?
  • If a unit doesn't use all or some of its offensive fire, does it get more opportunities in defensive fire?
  • What are the triggering conditions?
  • At what range does it fire?
Hello and welcome to the series :)
This is AFAIK:
- A defensive unit is not limited to the usual three fires per weapon per turn. The unit will fire its weapons as it sees fit, however they will degrade with each shot as usual.
- No, there is no carryover.
- The triggering conditions are part of the "secret sauce" of the game, presumably to prevent exploits.
- The range of defensive fire depends on the weapon being fired, and it works the same as in offensive fire.

Hope that helps!
WDS Support
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Also worth noting, there's a toggle to "Hold Fire" if you don't want your forces to fire defensively. Might want to do this to preserve concealment, maintain the highest effectiveness of your weapons, etc.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

rahamy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:14 pm Also worth noting, there's a toggle to "Hold Fire" if you don't want your forces to fire defensively. Might want to do this to preserve concealment, maintain the highest effectiveness of your weapons, etc.
True, an essential feature!
WDS Support
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

Hello and welcome to the series :)
Thanks!
The triggering conditions are part of the "secret sauce" of the game, presumably to prevent exploits.
Oh, I see, like my grand mother and her spaghetti sauce ;)

Well, I've just finished my first game as the Axis in the "Getting Started" scenario, with a major victory! Holding fire was not required in this one, as Axis was the attacker in a tight space. Very enjoyable game with plenty of features, even sewers! I'll look for a bigger challenge for my next game, and will remember your advice.