A question about dropping paratroops in MAP

Forum for the Modern Air Power games series
JasonHan

A question about dropping paratroops in MAP

Post by JasonHan »

Hello everyone, I have a question about dropping paratroopers in the modern air power.I am playing the second scenario of War over middleEast called "Operation Kadesh" and I need to drop paratroops into Mitla Pass.

According to the manual and database, paratroopers are air droppable cargo and I can "attack" a friendly location to drop them.
However, I tried to right click the location or "shift + right click" and press "attack", and I even tried to land there, none of these methods worked. So can someone tell me how to drop off these paratroops ? Thank you.
parmenio

Re: A question about dropping paratroops in MAP

Post by parmenio »

Can you attach a save file to your post here or at The Blitz and I'll take a look?
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
JasonHan

Post by JasonHan »

parmenio wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 am Can you attach a save file to your post here or at The Blitz and I'll take a look?
Hello, thank you so much for answering. The WDS forum and blitz forum won't allow me to upload the btl file. Do you mind giving me your email address so that I can send you the file? I really want to know what's wrong with this thing. Thanks
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

It's ok, I was able to work out what is going on from your screenshot at The Blitz.;)
Ultimately, this will need a support ticket raised.

https://wargameds.com/pages/support-wds

The issue is that even though the Info box is telling you your Paras are cargo, they are, in fact, being treated as weapon loads.
With the Scenario Editor, I edited one of the C-47 flights and added Paratroop cargo (second line in brackets):

Paratroops_one.png
Paratroops_one.png (183.21 KiB) Viewed 931 times

The second issue is that they are air-droppable in the Ordnance.dat file but not marked as Infantry as well.
The second screenshot is the result of both changes after passing over the Landing Zone:

Paratroops_two.png
Paratroops_two.png (185.41 KiB) Viewed 931 times

Paras have been successfully dropped.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Hawk27

Post by Hawk27 »

Hi Jason,

Modern Air Power saw a lot of changes while it was under Air Force direction. War Over the Mideast was designed at a time where a lot of those features didn't exist or were in a much different form. Air-dropping cargo was one of them - the newer engine supports unloading cargo while landed and adjusting aircraft endurance based on the carried weight. The old system treated cargo as a "weapon," hence this problem. Though there's more to it than this, a quick fix for that scenario is to change the weapon payload to none and add the paratroopers as a cargo load in the editor, as Andy posted.

It's on our to-do list for the next round of updates, but we don't have an ETA for it, I'm afraid.
JasonHan

Post by JasonHan »

parmenio wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:40 pm It's ok, I was able to work out what is going on from your screenshot at The Blitz.;)
Ultimately, this will need a support ticket raised.

https://wargameds.com/pages/support-wds

The issue is that even though the Info box is telling you your Paras are cargo, they are, in fact, being treated as weapon loads.
With the Scenario Editor, I edited one of the C-47 flights and added Paratroop cargo (second line in brackets):

Paratroops_one.png

The second issue is that they are air-droppable in the Ordnance.dat file but not marked as Infantry as well.
The second screenshot is the result of both changes after passing over the Landing Zone:

Paratroops_two.png

Paras have been successfully dropped.
Thank you!
JasonHan

Post by JasonHan »

Hawk27 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:25 pm Hi Jason,

Modern Air Power saw a lot of changes while it was under Air Force direction. War Over the Mideast was designed at a time where a lot of those features didn't exist or were in a much different form. Air-dropping cargo was one of them - the newer engine supports unloading cargo while landed and adjusting aircraft endurance based on the carried weight. The old system treated cargo as a "weapon," hence this problem. Though there's more to it than this, a quick fix for that scenario is to change the weapon payload to none and add the paratroopers as a cargo load in the editor, as Andy posted.

It's on our to-do list for the next round of updates, but we don't have an ETA for it, I'm afraid.
Thank you for answering! I will wait for the update