Graphics Wish List

Forum for the Modern Air Power games series
mjhbuckeye

Re: Graphics Wish List

Post by mjhbuckeye »

PaulSan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:11 pm mjhbuckeye, I do have a stupid question for you. Is there any special meaning to your name? I live in Ohio, the 'Buckeye' state. Initially, a few weeks back when I saw your name, I thought I had found someone living close by, but I see you live in New Jersey. So, is there any special meaning to your name? Just curious.
Indeed, there is. I was born and raised in Akron (LeBron James, Steph Curry and I were born in the same hospital. Which one is not like the others?), graduated from law school at Ohio State where i met my wife when she was an undergrad. My daughter went to Columbus as a legacy of both her parents and got her degree a few years ago. My residence in greater NYC is because of my job as an Assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn from which I retired a year ago after 38 years. I still get back to Ohio fairly regularly as my mom and other members of both my wife's (Norwalk was her hometown) and my family still live there. I guess you could say that after almost 40 years away I'm still a Buckeye through and through.

I think is safe to say that if you threw me an O-H! I would respond in the appropriate manner.
mjhbuckeye

Post by mjhbuckeye »

MikeC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:44 pm My preference is for the existing maps. The player is planning an operation with multiple squadrons/wings, and not "flying" an individual aircraft. At the level we are playing, we (imo) are standing over aviation sectional charts, and not looking at the countryside passing below.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I would not like to see the existing maps thrown out. Maybe add in a "natural" map background as an option.
I suppose the same could be said for every game of every mode, scale and era produced by WDS, yet all but MAP have natural terrain maps. I would also posit that the operation planning is only in the initial part of the games. The actual execution of the operation does depict forces overflying terrain in completion of the mission. This is the same gods-eye view of the contested territory used in every WDS game, except in MAP it actually makes sense because the units are in the air and not ground (or sea) bound.

Please don't expect a flame war from me as I expect that reasonable minds can differ and do so without intentional personal attacks. Besides, as Rich has confirmed, your preference will probably hold sway for a very, very long time if not indefinitely
PaulSan

Post by PaulSan »

Indeed, there is. I was born and raised in Akron (LeBron James, Steph Curry and I were born in the same hospital. Which one is not like the others?), graduated from law school at Ohio State where i met my wife when she was an undergrad. My daughter went to Columbus as a legacy of both her parents and got her degree a few years ago. My residence in greater NYC is because of my job as an Assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn from which I retired a year ago after 38 years. I still get back to Ohio fairly regularly as my mom and other members of both my wife's (Norwalk was her hometown) and my family still live there. I guess you could say that after almost 40 years away I'm still a Buckeye through and through.
You just taught me today's fact for the day. I did not know Steph Curry was born in Akron, let alone the same hospital as LeBron.

I got my BSEE from The Ohio State University and went on to have a fun career that allowed me to see a large portion of this country. My oldest daughter was the manager responsible for feeding the football team. Her last day was this past Friday. 16 hour work days, 7 days a week were not worth it, so she has moved on.
I think is safe to say that if you threw me an O-H! I would respond in the appropriate manner.
O-H
mjhbuckeye

Post by mjhbuckeye »

I-O!

Yeah, Steph came into the world at a time when father Dell's peripatetic NBA career had him playing with the Cavs. The Cavs' home court was then at the Richfield Coliseum located in rural northern Summit County and closer to Akron than Cleveland. Because of that, most of the players lived in Akron for which the regional hospital was Akron City. When the Charlotte Hornets came into the league Dell was moved there and the Curry's put down roots in North Carolina (brother Seth was born in Charlotte, I believe) where Steph played his high school ball and moved on to Davidson for college hoops.

Like most kids in Ohio, except for some misguided souls up in the Toledo area and some Catholics, who feel it is their birthright to cheer for Notre Dame, I grew up a huge Ohio State football fan (basketball too. People forget with all the year-in-and-out sucess of the footballers, Ohio State has a historically good basketball program) in my case in the Woody years from when Rex Kern was the QB. In the days before wall-to-wall cable TV coverage of college sports, the Buckeyes would only be broadcast on the national game once or twice a season, invariably inclusive of the game with the team up north. For the most part, Ohio State football was a radio game to me, and I spent many a Saturday afternoon glued to WSLR-AM. Great memories.

Because of the name recognition and huge alumni base that degree from OSU certainly opens a lot of doors to professional sucess and I'm glad it aided your rewarding career. Even though I was an undergrad elsewhere (Kent State) I'm extremely proud of my Ohio State degree and it served me very well.
count_fuzzball

Post by count_fuzzball »

I discovered that if you invert the map bmp files and then play around with the hue and colour effects, you can get images that are close to the original scanned maps, at least in terms of the level of detail and place names, etc.

The Vietnam map comes out pretty well, but the Middle-east maps are quite hit or miss. I do like the darker colour though, makes it much easier to read the game basenames and aircraft names, etc.

I will upload these to google drive soon if someone wants them.
Screenshot 2023-07-20 180730.png
Screenshot 2023-07-20 180706.png
Screenshot 2023-07-20 180840.png
Screenshot 2023-07-20 181246.png
Dion

Post by Dion »

I don't own the game, at least not yet, but those are some pretty fine graphics. One thing I noticed about the series, is that the graphics are too bright, though not with these enhanced graphics. Games with good rules and bad graphics are still regarded as good games, they just have bad graphics. Games with both, good rules and good graphics become great games, and those with good graphics and bad rules become half ass games. From what I hear is this series has good rules, so a graphical improvement can't make it any worse.