ATTACK OR DEFEND

Forum for the Panzer Battles games series
figurwar

ATTACK OR DEFEND

Post by figurwar »

Hello (again the french player who understand nothing ^^)

4 of my units are around the ENI.
I decide to attack this ENI unit four times. ENI return fire of the attack... i have 8 men KIA
To defend turn, ENI unit attack one of my 4 units. But all my 4 units retunr fire and kill this ENI.

if i don t attack on my turn... they don t kill 8 of my men and destroy with my return fire.
it' s correct ?

So it's better to defend no ???

Thks and sory for my english
French player who doesn t understand everything
Carlos

Re: ATTACK OR DEFEND

Post by Carlos »

As far as I know Defensive Fire inflicts the same damage as normal fire, so it's likely you just got an unlucky roll that could have easily gone the other way.

As to your question, the probable answer is "it depends". By defending you effectively forfeit the chance to inflict a possible disruption on the enemy during your turn, so it all depends on the situation - maybe you need to rush to an objective and can't afford to stay put.
WDS Support
figurwar

Post by figurwar »

Ok thanks but want to know how return fire are resolve
Because in my example (without indirect fire)

ATTACK
4 units (my) attack fire 3x = 12 fires
1 ENI defend return fire (fast A/I don t see is approximative 2 return fire) = 8 fires

DEFEND
1 ENI attack fire 3x = 3 fires
4 units defends (fast A/I don t see) and inflict more kill

How many defend fire can be return by units ? (no specify in rules)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It's actually mentioned in the manual, but only in the appendix at the very end, when comparing PB's features vs PzC's:
Unlimited op fire (as in Squad Battles).
Unfortunately the line uses the abbreviated form "op fire" so it's not likely to appear in searches. I agree that this key bit should be included in a more prominent section.

So basically there's no limit to defensive fire in PB. The actual criteria for determining which unit will return fire, and how many times, is hidden from the player to prevent exploits. In the case you describe, I believe you just got unlucky. You'd need many more tests of the same situation to come up with a conclusion.
WDS Support
figurwar

Post by figurwar »

ok thks man
it s easy with you
i must go read the rules again :)