Wish list

Forum for the Strategic War games series
Cédric Monget

Re: Wish list

Post by Cédric Monget »

That said, one of the strengths of JTS was to make niche games on subjects that were almost never covered on computer. So, I agree, it's likely that games about the great battles of WW2 probably sell a lot more than the others, but maybe it's the others that keep so many players loyal.

In any case, what I'm waiting for is precisely more niche games (and more mainstream games too — well, more games !)
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Cédric Monget wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:35 am That said, one of the strengths of JTS was to make niche games on subjects that were almost never covered on computer. So, I agree, it's likely that games about the great battles of WW2 probably sell a lot more than the others, but maybe it's the others that keep so many players loyal.

In any case, what I'm waiting for is precisely more niche games (and more mainstream games too — well, more games !)
TAOW had been out and about for ages and covered platitude of ages and battles (it's more of a sandbox). Literally almost any XX century action was covered. It has multitude of issue but it's the most comprehensive computerized hex based boardgame.

There are advantages and disadvantages of all systems but PzC main issue it's bad AI and no AI support for the player. You wanna play whole campaign you need to play PvP or by yourself.
Plus it will take longer than the actual campaign itself (which is absurdity of a highest sort).

SW main issue is the lack of Theatres. This system looks like perfectly done for EF and Pacific. It is almost best implementation of hex wargame. The other one is PzB, and PzC is rather so-so (the scale is to big for capturing smaller scale actions and to small for the bigger operations).

I really enjoy PzC and SW but mainly because it's a computerized boardgame. But I would never call it covering niche operations.

Just to add some background about the AI: try CombatOps 2 demo to see a working (far from perfect but quite decent) AI. The delays in command, the failure to perform orders etc.
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Chris wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:29 pm Some work was started on Eastern Front 1941.
Could this be real? 🤯
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

ChrisAd wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:05 amTAOW had been out and about for ages and covered platitude of ages and battles (it's more of a sandbox). Literally almost any XX century action was covered.
Certainly, but here we are talking about complete games with, each time, 50 or specific scenario. TAOW is more generic (far less research, etc.), but I have a lot of sympathy for Norm Koger's games(I played a lot of Conflict : Korea from SSI).
ChrisAd wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:05 amThere are advantages and disadvantages of all systems but PzC main issue it's bad AI and no AI support for the player. You wanna play whole campaign you need to play PvP or by yourself.
I never play against the AI, I know some people do, apparently some people have good reasons to do so (random game pace, etc.), but I never play against the AI and I admit I don't care about this weakness.
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Well in a less complex and shorter scenarios AI can provide some challenges.
What I am really disappointed was the news about dropping any AI development.

I mean whoever gets this right first will win a lot of gamers. Even if using hexes.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

ChrisAd wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:21 am What I am really disappointed was the news about dropping any AI development.
Mmh? I'm not aware of any news in this regard. If anything, the opposite has been hinted at.
WDS Support
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

I could swear I saw Rich's post on FB on this.
But maybe it was about a particular title 🤔
Chris

East Front 1941

Post by Chris »

The screenshot was posted sometime ago by someone at WDS. I'm sure it was started years ago and needs a lot of work.
Attachments
EF 1941.jpg
EF 1941.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

WotSF has a large slice of Russia in the map. So much that I had figured a way to create a 1941 scenario based on GMT's Army Group South. I might revisit it someday. The thing that holds designing long campaign scenario's back is the lack of control over the unit readiness recovery factor. It needs to be a editable parameter.
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

zovs wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:01 am There is no doubt that if there was an East Front and a France 44 game the series would garner more nibbles.
agree