Ship-to-Ship Naval Gunfire

Forum for the Naval Campaigns games series
ranknfile

Ship-to-Ship Naval Gunfire

Post by ranknfile »

The manual does a great job explaining - and providing examples - of a ship's primary guns "To Hit" breakdown; the "Effective Armor"; and the damage inflicted by a given gun. It does not provide an explanation of how multiple guns cause damage.

For example: Four 15-inch guns whose modified max damage is 225 each.
How is this damage applied?
Is it totaled to 900 max damage and the result is selected from 0 to 900?
Or are there four results of 0 to 225 that are then added together?

I suppose it doesn't matter as far as my enjoyment of the game goes (whichever it is I wouldn't play differently, for example), but I'd love to know.
GMcClellan

Re: Ship-to-Ship Naval Gunfire

Post by GMcClellan »

It's the former. So the max damage is between 0 and 900 (modified by armor).
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
ranknfile

Post by ranknfile »

Thank you!
I did not want to “pester” you with this additional question on the FB site; but you have come through again Sir!

I appreciate it.
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Glad to be of service. Can't always promise I'll be timely (especially on weekends), but I'll answer what I can.
ARNORIEWE

Post by ARNORIEWE »

Mr. McClellan, Sir you've created a great game with Wolfpack and Kriegsmarine, which I just purchased from WDS three weeks ago.
I used the scenario editor to create 2 scenarios, both of which have german shore batteries. In the 1st one I gave the germans
7 shore batteries on the Channel coast which I carefully researched and gave them all the correct parameters (e.i. Gun sizes, Ranges,
radar , names etc.,) Then I added your british CW-9 convoy from one of your designs plus added about 60 RAF AND 120 Luftwaffe planes & airbases.
Everything works fine (except you have to keep switching sides to give the aircraft targets) but here is my real problem; NONE of the shore
batteries fire! So, thinking that I probably overloaded the scenario with too much data, I cut back on the next scenario and only gave the germans 2 shore batteries and less aircraft ...same thing : no batteries are shooting! Could you please help me out here ? I would sincerely appreciate it, Sir...
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Without seeing it, I can't be sure, but a few things to check
1) Are the shore batteries properly assigned to side? In other words, does the game realize they are German and not Allied? I've made that mistake before!

2) Are the enemy ships within both visual/radar range and firing range? Are there any blocks to LOS (intervening clouds most notably)

If you're still having trouble, please post up a picture like this (as well as a picture of the map view with both the battery and target ships):
Attachments
Shore battery.png
Shore battery.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 959 times
ARNORIEWE

Post by ARNORIEWE »

Shore Battery Todt.png
Shore Battery Todt.png (60.69 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Shore Battery Grosser Kurfurst.png
Shore Battery Grosser Kurfurst.png (59.63 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Luftwaffe Attack on CW-9 Scenario Snapshot.png
Thanks for your prompt response! So, I did all you told me eliminating any clouds, landmasses or other "obstructions",
ran the sim again and, no luck! Batteries still DO NOT SHOOT! Therefor I'm sending you 3 snapshots: 1 of the simulation
where you can see that all convoy ships are in the arc of fire of at least one of the two batteries, as well as the 2 battery
info lists. Also, if it helps, I own a Windows 7 PENTIUM (AMD Phenom II X 4 965 Processor) with a regular PNP Monitor with
an NVIDIA (GeForce GTX 980) Video card. I sincerely hope we can resolve this issue. Please reply when you have the time...
Sincerely, Arno Riewe (RAUBKATER)
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

I don't see anything obvious from what you've got put up.
Please send a copy of the .scn .oob and (if changed) .pdt files to the WDS Support email and ask them to forward it to me.
ARNORIEWE

Post by ARNORIEWE »

O.K. Gary, I will do so, but just as an afterthought, I played your scenarios of the Guernsey & Jersey Islands
and the Batteries were firing! Here is something else for you: I called my cousin about these "Battery scenarios" and
issues I'm having and it turns out that my Uncle Alex (God rest his soul) was part of the Mirus Batterie flak defense
crew at St. Peter on Guernsey Isle during WW II! Anyway, also can you tell me what the "blip, blip, blip" sounds
are in the game?
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

There's a few sounds that could be "blip blip". One of them that comes to mind is a radar contact on an aircraft.