Mines Cleared Indication

Forum for the Panzer Battles games series
Ed Tanktread

Mines Cleared Indication

Post by Ed Tanktread »

I'm wondering if the designers are considering some way of indicating (to the attacking side) that a hex has been cleared of minefields. In the large scenario I am playing (Kursk, July 5 The Right Flank) after 8 turns I have cleared 40+ minefields along an 11 kilometer front, and must write down hex coordinates to keep track.
zovs

Re: Mines Cleared Indication

Post by zovs »

This would be a great addition, something similar to how ASL (the board war game) does it.

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
KAreil

Post by KAreil »

Really good idea.

Another wish would be that minefields once discovered would stay on the map. It is some years but IIRC if you move your unit away again it disappears and it can happen that you forget that there were mines...
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)
Ed Tanktread

Post by Ed Tanktread »

An enemy minefield remains visible if your units move out of that hex without having cleared it. It is captured enemy fortifications (improved positions, trenches, etc.) that disappear, for some reason, when you vacate them.

I finished the 35 turn, corp-sized scenario referred to in my original post having cleared well over 100 minefields. I then played the July 7th 30 turn scenario commanding the same corps and have had time to consider my suggestion of indicating cleared minefields. And, again, I've just been experiencing mega minefields on a large map. It would be a good play aid if, after clearing a hex of a minefield or obstacles, the word "cleared", or perhaps a little green circle, appeared. My main concern here is of scarring the map, with a lot of the indicators becoming unnecessary as the battle moves on.
KAreil

Post by KAreil »

Ed Tanktread wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:30 pm An enemy minefield remains visible if your units move out of that hex without having cleared it. It is captured enemy fortifications (improved positions, trenches, etc.) that disappear, for some reason, when you vacate them.

I finished the 35 turn, corp-sized scenario referred to in my original post having cleared well over 100 minefields. I then played the July 7th 30 turn scenario commanding the same corps and have had time to consider my suggestion of indicating cleared minefields. And, again, I've just been experiencing mega minefields on a large map. It would be a good play aid if, after clearing a hex of a minefield or obstacles, the word "cleared", or perhaps a little green circle, appeared. My main concern here is of scarring the map, with a lot of the indicators becoming unnecessary as the battle moves on.

Thanks, must have mis-remembered that.
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)
JD_1

Post by JD_1 »

Really wish WDS would address this requested feature. It is very hard to keep track of the cleared mines, especially as was mentioned above, in the more lengthy scenarios.
A green circle or flag within the cleared hexes would be a very welcomed addition to these outstanding games!

How about it WDS, can you give us your take on this idea posed in this thread?
Dion

Post by Dion »

JD_1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:52 pm Really wish WDS would address this requested feature. It is very hard to keep track of the cleared mines, especially as was mentioned above, in the more lengthy scenarios.
A green circle or flag within the cleared hexes would be a very welcomed addition to these outstanding games!

How about it WDS, can you give us your take on this idea posed in this thread?
I'm not a WDS spokesman but I'am a wargaming aficionado, I think it's a good idea, and it should depend on the type of unit that clears the minefield, yes for Engineers because they are more responsible when it comes to mine clearing, no for everything else.