New products

Forum for the Modern Campaigns games series
Dion

Re: New products

Post by Dion »

How about something ultra modern, like something going on currently, or something only a few years old? How about the Global War on Terror? Considering the number of worldwide coalition forces involved in that one, the OOB would cover just about every country on earth, endless replayability.
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

For something recent or set in future... i think something with necesary scale to see a "true war" or we enter in the Ukraine garden... or focus in Israel (same problem) OR play in Asia, here are big armies and you have good options.

In my case, i prefer see MC covering real modern wars (Iran-Irak, expand Vietnam regular war 72/75/China VS Vietnam, Pakistan VS India...) or if someday is possible do it... Ukraine, because is a war with a development very modern but at same time very ancient (WWI style).
Dion

Post by Dion »

Dion wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:10 pm How about something ultra modern, like something going on currently, or something only a few years old? How about the Global War on Terror? Considering the number of worldwide coalition forces involved in that one, the OOB would cover just about every country on earth, endless replayability.
Upon reflection, a title based on real world events would be impractical, as current world events are an indication that WWIII is being fought as we speak - just look at the facts, wars are being fought all over the earth while technology has never been more powerful, so powerful that the fact is being concealed by advanced technology and fear of mass destruction. This would make a game based on the subject unrealistic, as it would have no historic ending, thus a waste of resources for WDS, and a waste of time for players as well.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Dion wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:34 pm
Dion wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:10 pm How about something ultra modern, like something going on currently, or something only a few years old? How about the Global War on Terror? Considering the number of worldwide coalition forces involved in that one, the OOB would cover just about every country on earth, endless replayability.
Upon reflection, a title based on real world events would be impractical, as current world events are an indication that WWIII is being fought as we speak - just look at the facts, wars are being fought all over the earth while technology has never been more powerful, so powerful that the fact is being concealed by advanced technology and fear of mass destruction. This would make a game based on the subject unrealistic, as it would have no historic ending, thus a waste of resources for WDS, and a waste of time for players as well.
Well any what-if scenario or game is unrealistic to some degree. No matter if it's set in a historical setting or a completely made up one. But that doesn't mean it's a waste of WDS resources nor a waste of time for players. It has been done with great success in other war themed games. I'm sure people would buy and enjoy playing any WDS-format title set in a current or near future setting, even if it meant the WDS team would have to use alot of creative liscence mixed with educated guesses in place of the historical research for historically set titles.
Dion

Post by Dion »

Verdun1916 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:21 pm Well any what-if scenario or game is unrealistic to some degree. No matter if it's set in a historical setting or a completely made up one. But that doesn't mean it's a waste of WDS resources nor a waste of time for players. It has been done with great success in other war themed games. I'm sure people would buy and enjoy playing any WDS-format title set in a current or near future setting, even if it meant the WDS team would have to use alot of creative liscence mixed with educated guesses in place of the historical research for historically set titles.
Come to think of it your right! All the 1985 titles are set during the Cold War, and they don't have historical battles, only historical deployments, and they are still very interesting and fun to play.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Dion wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:53 pm
Verdun1916 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:21 pm Well any what-if scenario or game is unrealistic to some degree. No matter if it's set in a historical setting or a completely made up one. But that doesn't mean it's a waste of WDS resources nor a waste of time for players. It has been done with great success in other war themed games. I'm sure people would buy and enjoy playing any WDS-format title set in a current or near future setting, even if it meant the WDS team would have to use alot of creative liscence mixed with educated guesses in place of the historical research for historically set titles.
Come to think of it your right! All the 1985 titles are set during the Cold War, and they don't have historical battles, only historical deployments, and they are still very interesting and fun to play.
I think if the back story is good and plausible, and the content can be percieved as realistic the result will be enjoyable and fun to play. Like in the 1985 titles.
As you point out, off course these have some historically accurate stuff in the shape of orders of battles and deployments.
For a game set in the near future it would off course take a bit more creative license to put together so that is feels plausible and realistic. But I still think it would be absolutaly doable if equipment and weapon systems aswell as OOB's and deployments are built on existing real world ones, and possibly tweeked to include some possible and plausible advancements and upgrades, rather than making stuff up completely. If so I think it would sell and be very enjoyable to play for most players who are open to the subject.
The tuff nut to crack might be to come up with a good and plausible story for such a title to be set in. A World War III scenario which sees the ongoing war in the Ukraine having been expanded? China invading Taiwan in the wake of the ongoing conflicts in the Ukraine and in Israel/Palestine. North Korea launching a new invasion of South Korea for the very same reasons? Or something more local maybe, like a civil war situation within Russia or the USA, or what ever other country of choice? Or Russia trying to take control of Gotland to dominate the Baltic see before Swedens NATO application has gone through? Russia taking on another neighbour after the Ukraine?
I think the possibilities are endless if one can only pick a good story for it and don't go overboard with made up weapon systems and equipment. And I think something like this could be suitable for either Modern Campaigns or Squad Battles. I love the First and Second World War of the Campaign scale aswell as the SB scale. But I also greatly enjoy the Modern Campaign 1985 titles. And I always hoped the 1985 MC titles would spill over into the Squad Battle series. :D
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

As WDS seem happy to cover lesser known topics, the 1965 and 71 wars between India and Pakistan have it all, IMO. Tank battles, desert , mountains, open plains, a truly great topic for a future PC game. They were short, but brutal.
StefanKreis

Post by StefanKreis »

any new news from new cold war era products?
Dion

Post by Dion »

There has been a number of updates for the cold war era titles in the last few years! I'm hoping for a new title covering something from the post cold war era, something "ulta" modern.
Juankar

Post by Juankar »

StefanKreis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:07 pm any new news from new cold war era products?
+1