Running WDS games on Bootcamp partition

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
Tolstoyv1

Running WDS games on Bootcamp partition

Post by Tolstoyv1 »

The only problems I have with running games on Bootcamp are (1) space and (2) loading speed when I start Windows 10 under Bootcamp.

(1) The space problem is that WDS games take a lot of storage space on the Bootcamp partition, which limits other uses. I solved the space problem by using an external hard drive, a LaCie drive that I'd been using for backups to the mac, but no longer need.

I reformatted the LaCie drive to exFAT, then launched Bootcamp, found the LaCie hard drive, labeled Drive D, and then did a "cut" and "paste" of each WDS game from C to D. I install new WDS games to the same address, changing only the drive letter from C to D.

The games all seem to work fine. I have read that exFAT is new and untested, but I'd say it works well. I can also access it from my Mac partition, to read pdf manuals and to read and write word documents on the Bootcamp partition. The exFAT format allows full access and Microsoft Office document creation from both OS's.

The last step was to uninstall the WDS start menu, download it, and install it on the D: drive. It seems to work a little faster on the exFAT formatted D: drive. But that may be more impressionistic than real.

(2) I have not solved the problem of Windows taking what seems like ages to fully load, check for updates, and get ready to play on the Bootcamp NTFS drive. I think this is because it uses only 1/4 of my computer's processors.

I have moved two non-WDS turn-based games to D: and found that they work just as well, and possibly better. They are old Matrix games, Horse N Musket and Campaigns On The Danube.

I recommend exFAT for an external D: drive if you have space problems on a Bootcamp drive.

Windows will not install on an exFAT formatted drive, if you're wondering. That doesn't really matter. Once Windows finds its legs, it does well enough.