Do Breastworks Provide a Defensive Bonus to Artillery Being Attacked by Artillery Fire?

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
Steve_R.

Do Breastworks Provide a Defensive Bonus to Artillery Being Attacked by Artillery Fire?

Post by Steve_R. »

The WDS manuals appear silent on whether breastworks provide a defensive bonus to defending artillery when attacked (shelled) by enemy artillery. The parameter file (F3) simply states:
"Breastworks Values Movement: 1 Combat: -30% Building: 18%"
Since the breastworks values above and the manuals do not provide further insight, it would appear that breastworks on the same hex as the defending unit and located between the defending unit and the attacking unit would provide a defensive bonus.
Last edited by Steve_R. on Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verdun1916

Re: Do Breastworks Provide a Defensive Bonus to Artillery Being Attacked by Artillery Fire?

Post by Verdun1916 »

I would assume an artillery unit behind a breastwork would have the same definsive bonuses as any other unit type against enemy artillery fire.
I see no reason why not, unless the perticular type of artillery pieces in the battery behind a breastwork matters factors into it.
krmiller_usa

Re: Do Breastworks Provide a Defensive Bonus to Artillery Being Attacked by Artillery Fire?

Post by krmiller_usa »

All combat across the breastworks hexside, fire and melee effect the calculation for losses whether it is Infantry, Cavalry or Artillery.
If the unit is in a hex with breastworks hex but the combat occurs through a hexside where there are no breastworks then the modifier is not applied.
If you turn off On Map Results you can see this in the Fire Report and Melee Results report.
Mixed melee from both over and not over breastworks hexsides cannot be determined from the reports as it shows only total unit strengths and modifiers so I don't know if the modifier is applied to both units.
Ken Miller
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

Thanks for the replies. The other person that I was playing with, after several turns, pretty much confirmed that my artillery attacks on his artillery (protected by breastworks) was ineffectual.