Infantry melee against cavalry

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
ULYSSE

Infantry melee against cavalry

Post by ULYSSE »

My infantry unit can't melee a cavalry unit. When I try I have the following message " Cannot melee attacked mounted cavalry with non-block infantry".

Is there an historical reason for that ? Is it possible to change the rule ? How do the infantry unit become non-block ?
TheGrayMouser

Re: Infantry melee against cavalry

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ULYSSE wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:11 pm My infantry unit can't melee a cavalry unit. When I try I have the following message " Cannot melee attacked mounted cavalry with non-block infantry".

Is there an historical reason for that ? Is it possible to change the rule ? How do the infantry unit become non-block ?
I assume you are playing 7 years War? If so the rule is there as it would in practice be rare for cavalry to be forced into melee by infantry, or to have infantry attempt to bayonet charge cavalry. The Ren title has pike units ( and some bill/halberd units) that can form block and engage cavalry.
I forget if the M&P engine allows any infantry except skirmishes to melee cavalry if the terrain is non clear, or if that is only in the Napoleonic games.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

According to the manual (page 25), in M&P infantry cannot melee cavalry unless in block formation (and even so, the effect will be the displacement of the cavalry but no casualties).
WDS Support
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

As others have stated, that's against the rules entirely.

Historically speaking, it simply wasn't done. In the early 18th Century, there were times that infantry would come up on cavalry closely enough to fire (especially if in support of friendly cav), but that's it. There wasn't any attempt to assault.

Block is able to do it, because a pike block (which is only used in REN of the current games) is able to face a solid pikewall in any direction, which gave cav no meaningful ability to do anything to it other than maybe a smattering of pistol or carbine fire. No SYW were trained in that formation (and none carried pikes) so it's not available.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
ULYSSE

Post by ULYSSE »

Thank you.

I understand the point.
ULYSSE

Post by ULYSSE »

I just realised that you are one of the scenario designers of SYW.

Congratulation for the accuracy of the historical facts especially regarding the maps, the different regiments and leaders involved.