Which Napoleonic title would you recommend?

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
ULYSSE

Re: Which Napoleonic title would you recommend?

Post by ULYSSE »

Christian Hecht wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:44 am Go for Leipzig, and consider waiting for the surely coming Winter Sale of WDS to get it cheaper.
When is the winter sale?
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

ULYSSE wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:37 pm
Christian Hecht wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:44 am Go for Leipzig, and consider waiting for the surely coming Winter Sale of WDS to get it cheaper.
When is the winter sale?
It usually starts before X-mas and lasts to around New Years.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ULYSSE wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:36 pm Thank you guys for having taken time to share your opinion and experience.

It will be difficult to choose.

At the beginning I considered buying Marengo as it was the first campain.
NRC is a great title, a lot of variety in terrain and battle types.
Mrpfleck

Post by Mrpfleck »

Leipzig and Marengo are two very good choices to begin with, IMHO (I was a playtester on Marengo). They both have a ton of different historical battles and scenarios Leipzig gives you every major army of the period except the British and Marengo has the French, Austrians, and Russians. both have battles of different sizes, so if you want to start with something small and work your way up to larger battles you can.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

You really cannot go wrong with any of the titles. While Leipzig and Waterloo are the most popular, the rest of the titles in the series also offer a lot of "bang for the buck." You just cannot find games out there like these. All of us that worked on these titles went overboard to please the customers.

My personal favorites are Campaign Marengo, Republican Bayonets on the Rhine, Napoleon's Russian Campaign and Campaign Bautzen. The latter title has a bonus "war" included: a company level set of scenarios for The Finnish War of 1808-09 (I happen to be Swedish and really enjoyed learning about this campaign). Bautzen has two major battles of the 1813 Spring Campaign: Bautzen and Lutzen. Just packed with a lot of good gaming.

I am currently playing through some of the battles from Bonaparte's Peninsular War and Wellington's Peninsular War. These two titles came in later in the series and were highly anticipated and do not disappoint. Not only do you get the well known battles such as Talavera, Salamanca and Vittoria but many other battles as well. Be sure to pick up the lovely slip-case Atlas of the Peninsular Wars to go along with these games to get a better understanding of the campaigns!

Whatever game you decide to buy you can't go wrong. Each was carefully researched to bring you a great gaming experience.