What to do with capured artillery ?

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
ULYSSE

What to do with capured artillery ?

Post by ULYSSE »

I don't see what I can do with captured artillery. I can't use it to fire. I am unable to move it as it is uncrewed.

It seems that I just need to guard it with a unit so that it can't be recaptured by the enemy.

Please share your experience on this point.
3-37 Armor

Re: What to do with capured artillery ?

Post by 3-37 Armor »

Page 18 of the manual says:

'it is possible to capture enemy artillery, either as a result of melee or by overrunning the artillery
with charging cavalry. While the captured artillery is stacked in the same hex with a unit of the
opposing side, it can be turned and fired in the next turn. If the artillery unit requires setting up it
may not be used by the capturing army if they turn it. Fire once captured is automatically halved
and the battery cannot be moved to another hex. If the artillery unit is abandoned, then the
owning side can recrew the battery and use it normally. Captured artillery units count full value
towards victory conditions.'

The way I read this is if you have a unit in the same hex with a captured artillery unit you can turn and fire it the next turn after capture. However the guns will fire at 1/2 value and can't be moved from the hex they were captured in. The part about artillery that requires setting up is a little confusing I think. It might mean that setup artillery can't be used at all, or maybe so long as it is not turned it can be used? Hard to tell.
ULYSSE

Post by ULYSSE »

Unfortunately I can't fire with it although I have a unit on the same hex. It is stated that the articllery unit is uncrewed. I can't fire. I can't move it.
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

What kind of unit do you have in he hex? Are you waiting a full turn after capture?
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
Nicholas Bell

Post by Nicholas Bell »

I have captured Austrian artillery being fired against their formers owner while being manned by Prussian cavalry in a PBEM game of Lobositz. Have you rotated them to face the correct way during the movement phase (something I seemingly to always forget to do...)? Note they cannot fire the same turn they are rotated.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

3-37 Armor wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 am Page 18 of the manual says:

'it is possible to capture enemy artillery, either as a result of melee or by overrunning the artillery
with charging cavalry. While the captured artillery is stacked in the same hex with a unit of the
opposing side, it can be turned and fired in the next turn. If the artillery unit requires setting up it
may not be used by the capturing army if they turn it. Fire once captured is automatically halved
and the battery cannot be moved to another hex. If the artillery unit is abandoned, then the
owning side can recrew the battery and use it normally. Captured artillery units count full value

The way I read this is if you have a unit in the same hex with a captured artillery unit you can turn and fire it the next turn after capture. However the guns will fire at 1/2 value and can't be moved from the hex they were captured in. The part about artillery that requires setting up is a little confusing I think. It might mean that setup artillery can't be used at all, or maybe so long as it is not turned it can be used? Hard to tell.
Some artillery are flagged as having to “set up” after they unlimber. ( mostly more primitive artillery found in the Ren game). Once they unlimber there is a random chance they will set up on following turns. Captured artillery that needs to setup loses the ability to shoot if you try to change facing.
Dion

Post by Dion »

I wonder why captured artillery needs to be in the same hex with a unit from the opposing side.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Dion wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:48 pm

I wonder why captured artillery needs to be in the same hex with a unit from the opposing side.
Could be a game engine limitation ( captured artillery retains the original units “colors/bases”) , but if you can shoot with it perhaps you should need to maintain the ownership by force ;
Dion

Post by Dion »

Must be a typo because all the other rules concerning captured artillery sounds logical to me. If it's a game limitation, It should be regarded as a bug and needs to be fixed considering how important artillery rules are to the game.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Dion wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:52 pm Must be a typo because all the other rules concerning captured artillery sounds logical to me. If it's a game limitation, It should be regarded as a bug and needs to be fixed considering how important artillery rules are to the game.
Its is the same in the civil war games. It is no bug, it is a feature.