A new feature ?

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
letarsier59

A new feature ?

Post by letarsier59 »

While exploring Roumiantsev's I noticed something I never saw before, specifically in the view tab, a roaming mode.

I may sound a bit dumb, but what is this mode ?
parmenio

Re: A new feature ?

Post by parmenio »

Once on, you can move the mouse around the map and it will update the "info" area for each hex you move the mouse over.
You can therefore quickly see what units are in what hexes. Normally, you would have to click on each hex individually.

To turn it off, just click on a hex.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
letarsier59

Post by letarsier59 »

Oh, I see, looks it might come in handy.

Thank you very much for this clarification.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

No probs.

Not sure it's exactly new either. It was already in some series - I discovered it by accident in Civil War Battles ages ago, so it might have already been in Panzer Campaigns even if undocumented.

As a feature I find it incredibly useful - particularly in big scenarios.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
letarsier59

Post by letarsier59 »

I own the whole PzC, FWWC, and MC series, and I never noticed this feature before. I tried the shortcut on the most recent titles of this series, for no effect. I guess it has been implemented alongside the new tool bar.
KAreil

Post by KAreil »

It was first explained in this blog post some weeks ago:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/panzer ... te-preview
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)
Strela

Post by Strela »

letarsier59 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:56 am I own the whole PzC, FWWC, and MC series, and I never noticed this feature before. I tried the shortcut on the most recent titles of this series, for no effect. I guess it has been implemented alongside the new tool bar.
It is definitely a new feature.

John Tiller had included it in the Napoleonic’s but had not documented it. We found there was some ‘hooks’ in the PzC code, but roaming had not been completed or included by John.

A few other things that can be done with roaming; You can hit the space bar to open the detailed dialog box next to the hex you are viewing. Hitting space again closes the dialog (from memory), without stopping roaming mode. You can also, hold the Tab key, and then press the space bar and the back of the unit card will stay open. You can then continue roaming and the rear of the unit card will show in the unit display. Hitting Tab again will revert to the front of the unit card.

As mentioned in the linked blog post, we think we can build on this new feature…
letarsier59

Post by letarsier59 »

Thank you for the history behind the feature !