Any chance we can get river names unto the maps?

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
ruppert29

Any chance we can get river names unto the maps?

Post by ruppert29 »

Even if we have to highlight and right click the hex to see that. Specifically Panzer campaigns and other games with lots of rivers.
Dion

Re: Any chance we can get river names unto the maps?

Post by Dion »

You can turn on and off location names. It's a hot key, I can't remember which one, but it should be listed.
PaulSan

Post by PaulSan »

Shift key shows the locations as long as the key is depressed. Shift key + alt lives the location names always on
berto

Post by berto »

In several of the series, persistent map labels are achieved by toggling ON/OFF the ` (back single quote) hotkey. I expect that, over time, this will become the norm across all series.
Last edited by berto on Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

I know of shift and Alt shift to get names but unless the river is an entire hex wide, you don't get the name of the rivers. I am playing Battle of the Bulge, the goals are often crossing a river BUT unless you can prove me wrong I do not see the name of the rivers with shift (Scenario 16_10, Ouren river), etc
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Unless the map or scenario designer make sure all rivers are labeled in the area of a specific scenario, you won't see the river name. That is a good point to think about, but having worked on maps and scenarios for JTS and WDS, it isn't something that always comes to mind for every river. However, looking at 16_10, I do see two river names on the map - they are in blue typically. The Alf and the Prum. I am sure the large maps would include all the river names that show, somewhere along the river.

Note, you can use View - Locations to find where the labels are placed for towns, rivers, etc. However, based on that, I don't see a river, or a town, names Ouren on the Bulge map. There is a l'Our river - I suspect that is the river you are looking for as if I search for Ouren online, I get an entry for Ouren on the Our river? Basically the quantity and level of map labels can vary from one title to another, but the rivers are typically included, at least.

Rick
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

Thanks I will look for the blue text for rivers. But as you say not all rivers are named
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Note, I said the river names may not show up in the more limited map shown in the scenario window, that can definitely vary. But the vast majority of rivers are named in the main map and can be found in the larger/campaign scenario - but that there are gaps sometimes when a smaller scenario is cut out. But the main point was that you asked about getting river names onto the PzC maps, and they are already there!
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

And understood that some scenario descriptions may mention rivers and the label is missing on the specific piece of the map - although even then the objectives show up still, so it may be a bit frustrating in tying the description to the displayed map, but with no impact on play.