Night Time Terrain Representation

Forum to share all game modifications
skc

Night Time Terrain Representation

Post by skc »

Is there any way, when say visibility drops to 2 hex and less, to be able to 'grey' out the map terrain colors? This would be nice to remind one that it is indeed night time instead of missing the mention in the toolbar at the bottom.

If anyone has any idea of a mod for this or if WDS can do it and consider for next update?
(Perhaps additional, same terrain, in the appropriate 'night cloak.' (Some of us could do this Graphical, but the programming magic may be beyond us.)
Warhorse

Re: Night Time Terrain Representation

Post by Warhorse »

Was thinking about this back a little while ago!
Live now, pay later...
skc

Post by skc »

Must be a way. Perhaps a separate, 'greyed out' set of terrain. How to get around the programming to open that, when Hex visibility reduces, I'll leave up to the geeks.
Sunbather

Post by Sunbather »

Since I am currently thinking about getting the Panzer Battles: Normandy, I was watching a few gameplay videos to see if there is something like visual night representation. This sounds like a small nitpick but it is actually huge and would definitively help me buying the title.

After all, it would not only add immensely to the immersion but it would also be a neat feature for orientation.

Curiously, something like a "night time tileset" or "filter" is already in the game. Namely, when you click "H" or "V" for reachable and visible hexes respectively. Then the whole map turns grey-ish and only the tiles that are visible or reachable are left in full colour.

I recently bought the original Talonsoft Campaign Series and I was astounded to find that there is an actual visual representation of nightime in those old titles.

PS: In a perfect world, we not only had a grey-ish filter for the night but also some pinkish filter for dusk and dawn. And if there is a storm, there would also be a grey filter (maybe slightly brighte than during the night).

PS2: If we ever get a Panzer Battles: Cold War, I would love to see the visible hexes with a green filter whenever you have selected a tank with night vision equipment.

I don't know anything about coding but I wonder how hard it would be to implement such things? I.e. when it turns night, trigger Filter A, when there is a storm going on, trigger Filter B. I don't think the tilesets themselves would need to be touched.
zovs

Post by zovs »

Well there is "V" in all the games which shows the visibility of the unit. I don't know why you'd want the entire map to "grey out the terrain colors", I in fact I don't.

All I need is the 'V' key to let me know what is visible at night:

Or in the day:

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Sunbather

Post by Sunbather »

zovs wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:28 am I don't know why you'd want the entire map to "grey out the terrain colors", I in fact I don't.
As previously stated, for immersion reasons. Just like in the Campaign Series games or other Wargames. You know, so that the Normandy does not look like a bright summer day in the middle of the night.