Artillery problems in Bulge '44

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Strela

Re: Artillery problems in Bulge '44

Post by Strela »

Thanks Ed,

For all wondering, we are reverting back to the original values. Of interest, an earlier version of the Alt PDT had values similar to Brian's, but as Ed points out, further play testing resulted in the changes you see embodied in the current parameters.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

"In the end though, I guess there isn't much else to say."

I believe your closing statement summed it all up and as you noted people will agree or disagree no matter the explanation and/or insight provided. For my 2 cents I think your very fulsome post very clearly set out the background rationale. Allowing of 10+ years of memory, and not at all flawed I would suggest, I believe the points raised are valid and worthy of consideration. Uniformity is one thing but war is another. "But there has to also be a limit to standardization, especially when there are a large number of variables that cannot be represented in a game at this scale; the unit values and quality ratings only go so far, when you factor in the overall game mechanics that allow the player to do things that are simply an unrealistic level of coordination for example, or with the fact that, unlike reality, all the combat is based on pure mathematical calculations which are not flawless in their implementation or methods when representing historical situations."

Excellent post and insight IMHO, thank you very much for it.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

Thank you Ed and David for taking the time to work through it.

As Erzhog Karl notes in the post above, "people will agree or disagree no matter the explanation and/or insight provided". This is so very true, and doubly so in a hobby where each of is VERY knowledgeable on the subject matter of the games. What most of us lack is any appreciable insight into is what it takes to design, test, and balance the games. I have about the equivalent of a 1st grade education into that based on over a decade of play test work and sticking my toe into the waters of scenario design. There are too many moving parts in these games to think anything is cut & dry.

I know enough to know I don't know much.
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller