Topics to cover...?

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series

What topics would you like to see covered with the Musket & Pike engine?

Great Northern War
14%
War of Spanish Succession
20%
War of Austrian Succession
18%
English Civil War
22%
Thirty Years War
27%

Total votes: 154

zovs

Re: Topics to cover...?

Post by zovs »

siegersallee wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:52 pm But, I'd also like for you to consider: Crimean, Franco-Prussian, and Russo-Japanese (Land side). :D
I would think these would actually fall outside the Musket & Pike era and would be better modeled with ACW engine instead.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

zovs wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:55 pm
siegersallee wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:52 pm But, I'd also like for you to consider: Crimean, Franco-Prussian, and Russo-Japanese (Land side). :D
I would think these would actually fall outside the Musket & Pike era and would be better modeled with ACW engine instead.
Or FWWC.

I actually think it would be much better to have a game at this level for these periods. For example, the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 could be a simple mod of France 14', the system is already there, the map too, there is only the OOB to start from scratch.
S Trauth

Post by S Trauth »

Don't get hung up on an engine name and associate it, necessarily, with any particular period. Musket and Pike is a more versatile engine to work with than the CWB engine.
S Trauth

Post by S Trauth »

Cédric Monget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:39 am
Or FWWC.

I actually think it would be much better to have a game at this level for these periods. For example, the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 could be a simple mod of France 14', the system is already there, the map too, there is only the OOB to start from scratch.

In that case, though, basically the engine is designed around a larger scale, so I think Cedric might have a good argument - especially if you are talking about taking things from the grand tactical scale, of which it already is at, to something a little more operational in scale. A little like comparing Wellington's Victory to Napoleon's Last Battles (in SPI terms).
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

S Trauth wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:17 am
Cédric Monget wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:39 am

Or FWWC.

In that case, though, basically the engine is designed around a larger scale, so I think Cedric might have a good argument - especially if you are talking about taking things from the grand tactical scale, of which it already is at, to something a little more operational in scale. A little like comparing Wellington's Victory to Napoleon's Last Battles (in SPI terms).
Indeed, I think that simulating a simple battle requires more work (making very detailled map and OOB, taking into account the precise disposition of the troops, etc.) and for a less interesting result than a game on an operative scale.

The Franco-Prussian war, to return to it, is fascinating at the operative scale while at the tactical scale it is more basic. The pleasure of the game seems to me infinitely superior at the operational scale with hexagons of 1 km as for France 14'.

In fact, only the 20th century is covered at all scales by WDS :
[lilst=1]SB/PB: tactical,
[*]PzC: operative,
[*]TW: strategic.[/list]
For the XVIII/XIXth century, we only have tactical (possibly hypertrophied in a 300 turns scenario, but this is by pushing the game engine to the extreme of its capacities).

I hope that one day we will no longer have this lack.
Anguselus

Post by Anguselus »

As a possible expansion of the Renaissance game itself, I would love an hypothetic campaign seeing Henry VIII facing a full-on revolt from the Courtney and Exeter block, supported by the French and likely the Scots. I realize there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for hypothetical campaigns, but nevertheless, I think this one could be fun, with multiple large maps, and the English on their home pitch, so to speak.
siegersallee

Post by siegersallee »

Wars of Louis XIV...that'd be awesome. I have a board game called Under the Lilly Banners. This is a seriously under appreciated era.
thespaie@yahoo.com

Post by thespaie@yahoo.com »

https://www.historyhit.com/the-great-emu-war/

This engine or Squad Battles engine.
“Ask Before Activating AI”
Friui2

Post by Friui2 »

What about going further back into the past?

Renaissance can already be used to cover the late 15th century (Wars of the Roses, Burgundian/Swiss war, Condottieri). If you don't mind anachronistic artwork, it can also be used for the 100 years war.

How about ancients? The engine is the only one I know which could could attempt to model a Punic Wars era Roman army with 120 man maniples as the manoeuvre element.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

The Great Northern War
The Scanian War
The 30 Years War
The English Civil War