Topics to cover...?

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series

What topics would you like to see covered with the Musket & Pike engine?

Great Northern War
14%
War of Spanish Succession
20%
War of Austrian Succession
18%
English Civil War
22%
Thirty Years War
27%

Total votes: 154

rahamy

Topics to cover...?

Post by rahamy »

Share your thoughts on potential topics in the poll above. Other ideas can be posted as replies.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Cédric Monget

Re: Topics to cover...?

Post by Cédric Monget »

It would be interesting to look at Eastern Europe and the conflicts involving the Ottoman Empire (from the sixteenth century to the eighteenth century — and even in the Napoleonic era).

In addition, there are also conflicts outside Europe : I am thinking of Japan, Korea, and India as well, a subject of colossal interest that is very rarely covered. To be honest, when I play REN, I have the impression that it would work perfectly for the Sengoku Jidai.
tankfist45

Post by tankfist45 »

The English Civil war and the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland Simply due to not having seen too many turn-based strategy games tackle this period
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Cédric Monget wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:27 pm It would be interesting to look at Eastern Europe and the conflicts involving the Ottoman Empire (from the sixteenth century to the eighteenth century — and even in the Napoleonic era).

In addition, there are also conflicts outside Europe : I am thinking of Japan, Korea, and India as well, a subject of colossal interest that is very rarely covered. To be honest, when I play REN, I have the impression that it would work perfectly for the Sengoku Jidai.
I've thought about the Sengoku Jidai as well, truth be told. I'd honestly want to read a great deal more about the troop types and their interrelationships before I tried to pitch it to the powers that be, but I do think that it would be a very interesting expansion to the series.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
Wychopen

Post by Wychopen »

All of those options are great! I am especially interested in the Thirty Years War and any of the wars of Louis XIV.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Once you have the 18th century covered how about The War of The League of Augsburg (AKA the 9 Year’s War) and the War of the Holy League (both kicking off in the 1680’s and for the other end of the series time period how about the War of Hungarian Independence 1848 to 1849 and Radetzky’s Italian Campaign in Italy over the same time period.

For the former we will soon have both volumes of Chris Pringle’s translation of the Austro Hungarian official History of the war (not to mention his scenario book on the war for Bloody Big Battles) while for the later there is Michael Embree’s “Radetzky Marches” and also a an existing version made for Age Of Rifles that runs on DosBox to borrow ideas from.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Franco-Prussian War would be a fantastic addition IMHO. Small time period, big battles, new weapons & old tactics, colorful uniforms....French anyway and even Bavarians. A neat, tidy period to game, good historical information, OOB's, maps etc. A good selection of excellent miniatures rules sets for tabletop games are available but a period often overlooked by board game and PC developers. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

GMcClellan wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:36 pm
Cédric Monget wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:27 pm It would be interesting to look at Eastern Europe and the conflicts involving the Ottoman Empire (from the sixteenth century to the eighteenth century — and even in the Napoleonic era).

I've thought about the Sengoku Jidai as well, truth be told. I'd honestly want to read a great deal more about the troop types and their interrelationships before I tried to pitch it to the powers that be, but I do think that it would be a very interesting expansion to the series.
I dream of REN South Asia...

The last stand at Mulleriya-wela16th century -The last stand of Dom Jorges de Menses at Mulleriya wela. The battle was a decisive victory by “Prince Tikiri” (later to become King Rajasinghe I) against the Portuguese. 8' x4.5' ft. Acrylic on canvassDefense Services and Command Staff College at Kiribathgoda.
Link.
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

Are a lot of options, all good options, but maybe Spanish sucesion war offer a title the can release without touch engine, i think no critical new features are needed.

Talking about Franco-Prussian war... i think is a title for a different serie, if we need a title to link FWWI and PzC, we need a title to link Nap serie with FWWI, we have ACW but we dont have a serie for Europe battlefields... remember Age Of Rifles.
siegersallee

Post by siegersallee »

I voted for
War of the Austrian Succession
War of the Spanish Succession
30 Years War
Great Northern War

But, I'd also like for you to consider: Crimean, Franco-Prussian, and Russo-Japanese (Land side). :D