Unit Info Boxes and on map Counters mod.

Forum to share all game modifications
zovs

Unit Info Boxes and on map Counters mod.

Post by zovs »

So I have all the Nations done for the Unit Info mod (50 total now, but this includes neutrals like Turkey, Sweden, Switzerland, and other countries like Croatia, Slovakia, Denmark and Norway for example) and that lead me to see if I could mod the unit counters them selves just for fun and my old board war game days as a guide of sorts.

A few screen shots (note that the unit details pictures are not (yet) modified for each info box, just the on map units).

This zoomed out view is from Stalingrad.

This zoomed out view is from Budapest.

Budapest, again and here the Germans are grey, and the SS are a darker grey, the Hungarians are green, the Russian Guards are a deeper red, and the Russian regulars are a more fuller brown.

Another from Budapest, here the Hungarians are facing off against the Romanian 'defectors' and their Russian collages.

Once more in Budapest, here in the north we see SS, a few a Luftwaffe units, and a host of Soviet Guards, in the info panel you can see the SS and Luftwaffe id's (note I have not yet - it would be a large task still - modified the counters in the unit info panel).

Stalingrad, and the Italians in the east.

German and Luftwaffe posed against some Russian Guards.

Hum, what are these? NKVD !

Hum, what are these? (looks like I need to fix stacking?)

Ah, the Russian Naval Rifle units!
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
zovs

Re: Unit Info Boxes and on map Counters mod.

Post by zovs »

Okay fixed the Soviet/Russian Naval infantry.

Zoomed out (stacking is okay)

Zoomed in.

Close up of NKVD and Russian Naval Troops.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

This is absolutely outstanding work!! I can't wait for you to finalize and make everything available. Finally, some gray rather than blue WW2 German counters for Pz Campaigns! Some of the work looks like it might be Europa inspired, if so good choice on your part.

Either way, once again great job!
zovs

Post by zovs »

3-37 Armor wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:58 pm This is absolutely outstanding work!! I can't wait for you to finalize and make everything available. Finally, some gray rather than blue WW2 German counters for Pz Campaigns! Some of the work looks like it might be Europa inspired, if so good choice on your part.

Either way, once again great job!
Thank you!

Yeah I am heavily influenced by both Europa and SPI games from the 70s.

I might try GDW feldgrau but I think I tried that and it does not look good on the maps. So I went with grey and dark grey for the Germans. I did not use Europa's brown for the Russians nor the Guards as those are just too dark in PzC.

So I grab the best choice I could find for brown and reds from the original colors and put my own spin on it. Took some doing but I got a nice template system in place.

UnitBoxes are a breeze and I have to use a layered approach, but with these on map counters its just one layer, and using the tools I have it's pretty simple to recolor for each nationality, but its tedious to say the least and you have to pay attention to details.

50 nations done with unitboxes, so now to work though the unit counters colors (on map) and get these built up, I have all the East Front done, now just the West and Med. But the Germans are complete and so are the Italians so the West is really just the US, UK, and all the commonwealth colors, and then France (I'll probably use the same blue for FF, VF and Metro France, or maybe not, lol).

For the German and Soviets "special units' used their country flags or uniforms, ie. for the NKVD and Naval Troops. I can't use all the nations uniforms (other wise everything would be hard to distinguish lol), so I devised a system for some things and only the USMC and SS have a special flag (I may make one for the Rising Sun, I got the meatball, and Japan has another nation so I can use the RS for Japanese Naval or Army, I'll have to do some research).

So its a mix of old board war game things, uniforms, flags, artistic choice and my personal preferences.

Doing all the unit pictures to include the new counter color is and will be a large project for the entire series and I have made all my mods as generic as possible so I can plug em into any PzC or MC (yes I'll do the 4 I own too lol).

Thanks for listening ...
zovs

Post by zovs »

Oh, this mod also works with the 3D view, but I don't know anyone who would use this view and I never do but its done for completeness.

Zoom in.

Zoom out.

If no one really cares about that part it would save me time, but my OCD won't let me let it lie. lol
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

[/quote]
(I may make one for the Rising Sun, I got the meatball, and Japan has another nation so I can use the RS for Japanese Naval or Army, I'll have to do some research).
[/quote]

Maybe a little bit of help.....according to Wikipedia the "meatball" flag is the official Japanese National Flag, originally adopted during the Meji Period in 1870. The "Rising Sun" flag was the war flag for both the Imperial Army and Navy adopted also in 1870. The difference between the Army and Navy versions was that the sun or "meatball" of the Navy flag was offset to the fly side, both versions having 16 "rays". The flags were abolished after WW2, but were reinstated in 1954.

The modern day Navy version is identical to the WW2 one with 16 "Rays", but the Army version now has only 8 "rays".

Like I said it's from Wikipedia, but looks to be accurate with many citations.
zovs

Post by zovs »

3-37 Armor wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:13 pm
(I may make one for the Rising Sun, I got the meatball, and Japan has another nation so I can use the RS for Japanese Naval or Army, I'll have to do some research).
[/quote]

Maybe a little bit of help.....according to Wikipedia the "meatball" flag is the official Japanese National Flag, originally adopted during the Meji Period in 1870. The "Rising Sun" flag was the war flag for both the Imperial Army and Navy adopted also in 1870. The difference between the Army and Navy versions was that the sun or "meatball" of the Navy flag was offset to the fly side, both versions having 16 "rays". The flags were abolished after WW2, but were reinstated in 1954.

The modern day Navy version is identical to the WW2 one with 16 "Rays", but the Army version now has only 8 "rays".

Like I said it's from Wikipedia, but looks to be accurate with many citations.
[/quote]

Thanks for that!
zovs

Post by zovs »

Another spoiler alert ...

Czech's contrast in colors!

German and SS vs. Russian and Guards.
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

Nice work!
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

zovs wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:13 pm Oh, this mod also works with the 3D view, but I don't know anyone who would use this view and I never do but its done for completeness.

Zoom in.

Zoom out.

If no one really cares about that part it would save me time, but my OCD won't let me let it lie. lol
Well I use 3D 95-99% of the time. Never play any JTS/WDS game in 2D of the ones I own, besided PzB Kursk. And the lack of 3D view in the latter made me quit playing it. I only use the 2D view on a few occasions when I need to get an overview of the situation or to check command ranges for example. I feel 3D gives me a far better understanding of and feel for the terrain than the 2D views does. The only games I feel 2D is good option for me to play in for any extent of time is the Ferraris mod for 7YW and the Napoleonic games as it has that historic look of actual period maps combined with proper linear 2D counters.

So I'm happy if this mod affets 3D view aswell.