McNamara database

Forum to share all game modifications
malthaussen

McNamara database

Post by malthaussen »

I see a number of references in the John Tiller games to the "McNamara Database," which I gather standardizes the values of all equipment and units across all of WW2, and tweaks them to make them more realistic. I note many scenarios are present in the game that use this database.
So, I'm interested in its provenance. Casual Google search turns up zip, where can I find this database in all its glory, with discussion of how it was created?

-- Mal
RickyB

Re: McNamara database

Post by RickyB »

The McNamara database was developed by one of the long term designers/contributors to the PzC games, who created the Alt versions of scenarios with the Mcnamara database as the foundation change, Ed Williams. As you say, it standardized the values based on certain criteria, eliminating the judgement - whether more realistic or not, they definitely are not less realistic, and have a basis for the values over "feelings" of what is right.

Many of the later PzC games use the values to begin with, and hence there are no Alt scenario versions using them.

I don't know that this set of values is publicly available. However, you can use the various games values to pull these together and see the set!
Strela

Post by Strela »

The set is not publicly available. For reference, the values came from Bob McNamara https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesi ... b-mcnamara who was a lead developer of Advanced Squad Leader.

Ed Williams did the conversions necessary to work at the ranges necessary for Panzer Campaigns. These values have also been used in the Alt scenarios in the Modern Campaigns series as well as the default values for Panzer Battles.
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Thanks Strela!!

I actually met and talked with Bob McNamara at an ASL convention circa 1983-1985 somewhere in there! He is a hell of a guy and very focused in wargame development and wargame rule adaptations! For ASL he always steered towards common sense and above all have fun!!

I wish he was still around today!!

Regards,
John
Strela

Post by Strela »

Big Ivan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 pm Thanks Strela!!

I actually met and talked with Bob McNamara at an ASL convention circa 1983-1985 somewhere in there! He is a hell of a guy and very focused in wargame development and wargame rule adaptations! For ASL he always steered towards common sense and above all have fun!!

I wish he was still around today!!

Regards,
John
Cheers John,

It's always amazing when we meet these gentlemen in person. I never went to a Tillercon, but heard it was fantastic to meet JT, Rich, Glenn Saunders and others to really understand the rationale behind various game series and the process of game design.
zovs

Post by zovs »

Just a historical note, the ASL rule book was first introduced in 1985 and Beyond Valor (the first ASL module) came out in 1986. ASLOK is the annual ASL tournament every October.

So in regards to ASL you would have had to meet Bob after 1985 or so.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Your right zovs. It was later then maybe 1987-88. It all runs together after a while.
zovs

Post by zovs »

I started playing Squad Leader (SL) back in 1979, then shifted to ASL in 1985-86, played ASL till I retired from ASL in 2014. Mentally wears you out after near 30 years of face to face gaming. Met a lot of great folks along the way. Started in Board wargames around 1977 or so. At one time I had over 500 board war games in my collection, but sold them off. Now its WDS games that fill that old spot. :D
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
berto

Post by berto »

Before I left for the U.S. Peace Corps (ha!) in late 1977 (served in the Philippines), I sold my ~80 game SPI board war game collection for $100 to some lucky kid. Much to my later regret! :(
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

zovs wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:47 am I started playing Squad Leader (SL) back in 1979, then shifted to ASL in 1985-86, played ASL till I retired from ASL in 2014. Mentally wears you out after near 30 years of face to face gaming. Met a lot of great folks along the way. Started in Board wargames around 1977 or so. At one time I had over 500 board war games in my collection, but sold them off. Now its WDS games that fill that old spot. :D
I was also a SL/ASL player from the 80's to early 2000's, then got into computer wargaming more, modding and stuff fills the void! Takes up a LOT less space too!
Live now, pay later...