Constructing Breastworks

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
Steve_R.

Constructing Breastworks

Post by Steve_R. »

As a result of playing, I have some additional questions concerning breastworks.
From cwb.pdf:
Breastworks Values
Movement: the additional movement cost to cross Breastworks.
Combat: the combat modifier applied to fire and melee against units behind
Breastworks.
Building: the per-turn probability used to determine when Breastworks are
constructed.
From the parameter file"
Breastworks Values
Movement: 2 Combat: -50% Building: 50%
1. Though the manual refers to the per-turn probability of breastwork completion, does the number of units on a hex also have an effect?
The reason for this question is that if the hex is under attack some units are needed to defend the hex, yet you still want to have the breastworks under construction. Should the number of units is irrelevant, then only one unit would need to be assigned to breastwork construction.

2. The reference to "Combat: -50%" means that the attacking units effective firepower on the defending unit is reduced by 50%. Obvious, but just wanted to confirm.
krmiller_usa

Re: Constructing Breastworks

Post by krmiller_usa »

Steve_R. wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm As a result of playing, I have some additional questions concerning breastworks.

1. Though the manual refers to the per-turn probability of breastwork completion, does the number of units on a hex also have an effect?
The reason for this question is that if the hex is under attack some units are needed to defend the hex, yet you still want to have the breastworks under construction. Should the number of units is irrelevant, then only one unit would need to be assigned to breastwork construction.

2. The reference to "Combat: -50%" means that the attacking units effective firepower on the defending unit is reduced by 50%. Obvious, but just wanted to confirm.

1. From user manual page 29, "Whether or not they (breastworks) are completed is determined by the Breastworks Build Parameter Data value and the number of men in the unit building them."
For breastworks the number of men refers to one unit, I believe each unit checks separately.
Trenches are different each unit would increase the Trench Value of the hex based on their size.
Units building breastworks will still defend in melee, their fire value is reduced 50%, see user manual page 38.

2. I believe this value varies from game to game and sometimes from scenario to scenario, at least it did before, not sure if it has been standardized.
Ken Miller
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

Still confused. It makes sense that the more troops involved, the faster the breastworks are constructed. I could not locate an item, in the parameter file, labeled "Breastworks Build Parameter Data" when pressing F2. This is for the scenario: Secessionville.
What I did find when pressing F2 as a random example of parameter data:
Fatigue Parameters
Max Fatigue: 900 Day Recovery: 10% Night Recovery: 20%
Night Attack Penalty: 300 Night Movement Penalty : 50
Is there another method of displaying the "Breastworks Build Parameter Data"?
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Keep scrolling, it is there. This image from an Overland PDT:

PDT.png
PDT.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

Thanks, I posted the Breastworks Values for Secessionville in the very first post of this thread. This seems to imply only the probability of completing a breastworks on a hex for a particular turn, not the effect of having a number of units involved in construction. I do expect that the number of units on a hex, would have an affect on the construction rate. A reason for pondering this question is whether it is worth attempting to construct breastworks with the "enemy" rapidly approaching.
Last edited by Steve_R. on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

I'm not an expert in the ACW series, but I'm guessing that building breastworks is similar to digging in in Panzer Campaigns. The PDT value will apply to each unit making the attempt. So, if you have one unit building breastworks, there will be a 50% chance to complete each turn. Two units will provide two chances to complete (at 50% each), three units three chances, etc. Using the 50% example that implies that there is almost a guaranteed one turn completion with two or three units.
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

That sounds like a reasonable interpretation. Thanks.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

I don't know this to be a fact, and am not claiming this to be a fact, but my experiences with breastwork construction in ACW is that more men makes the work go faster. That is not documented anywhere that I have seen, and it's not in the manual beyond what has been discussed above, but I would not be shocked to learn that somewhere in the code that X% value in the PDT file is modified by the number of men so that a full regiment 500-1000 men gets the full chance and smaller regiments get a modified downward chance. Again, I only say that based on having small regiments try to construct breastworks in quiet corners an it taking MANY MANY turns, and a large regiment can get them up in a turn or 2.

That is just an observation.
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Afaik the strength of each unit building breastworks in a hex is added and accumulated over turns to finally match the required number to finish the work.
krmiller_usa

Post by krmiller_usa »

From User Manual page 29

Breastwork construction is not affected by terrain in the hex. Whether or not they are completed is determined by the Breastworks Build Parameter Data value and the number of men in the unit building them.

Not the number of men in the hex, it's the unit size (I believe divided by 100 common for most things) and the PDT Breastworks Build Parameter that determines the probability of breastworks being completed.

Each units checks separately and you can have units building them on the same or different facings at the same time.
Ken Miller