What Next?

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Dion

Re: What Next?

Post by Dion »

MisterMark wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:04 pm Not to sound like a broken record player, but more Army Group North and more specifically the Courland Pocket.
+1
VonSpee

Post by VonSpee »

Tony wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 am
SlaySoft wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:53 am I am really excited with all incoming PzC games. I think there are still plenty of hitorical campaigns to cover; Poland 39, operations related Army Group North at eastern front, Manchuria 45... Although I enjoy any game a lot, ahistorical campaigns or 'what if' scenarios are not my first choice.

What about late war? Do you have anything in mind related to the battle of Berlin? Maybe Vistula-Oder offensive
I agree with Manchuria '45. If the Mexican-American War and the Korean War are the forgotten wars, then Manchuria '45 is the forgotten front. By '45, there were roughly 8 fronts yet nothing or next to nothing gets covered about Manchuria.

I asked a guy about it here at the wargame conference we have in Phoenix and he said, "Oh, well that was just the Soviets running over Asia in a little over a month." Yeah. Nearly the something happened to France in '40 but we got loads of games for that.

I get why there isn't that much coverage of the Forgotten Front, Manchuria. And it has to do with our western bias. But i think it's a FASCINATING subject and time as the Soviets marched and changed 1,000 year old regimes in weeks.

August Storm is a great book on the subject. Has anyone made a module off of that book alone?
I remember first reading about the 1939 battles of Khalkin Gol and being fascinated by the fact the Soviets checked the Japanese advance into Mongolia. A Manchurian title in August '45 would be very interesting as well.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

Tony wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 am
SlaySoft wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:53 am I am really excited with all incoming PzC games. I think there are still plenty of hitorical campaigns to cover; Poland 39, operations related Army Group North at eastern front, Manchuria 45... Although I enjoy any game a lot, ahistorical campaigns or 'what if' scenarios are not my first choice.

What about late war? Do you have anything in mind related to the battle of Berlin? Maybe Vistula-Oder offensive
I agree with Manchuria '45. If the Mexican-American War and the Korean War are the forgotten wars, then Manchuria '45 is the forgotten front. By '45, there were roughly 8 fronts yet nothing or next to nothing gets covered about Manchuria.

I asked a guy about it here at the wargame conference we have in Phoenix and he said, "Oh, well that was just the Soviets running over Asia in a little over a month." Yeah. Nearly the something happened to France in '40 but we got loads of games for that.

I get why there isn't that much coverage of the Forgotten Front, Manchuria. And it has to do with our western bias. But i think it's a FASCINATING subject and time as the Soviets marched and changed 1,000 year old regimes in weeks.

August Storm is a great book on the subject. Has anyone made a module off of that book alone?
I looked into the Manchuria '45 title before I stopped working full time on the scenario design. It could be a game for sure but there are really other titles out there that have better SALES potential and I always keep that in mind when I was interested in doing a game. For instance, the RBR Napoleonic title was a no-brainer as many of those battles, although not as famous as Waterloo or Borodino, nevertheless attract the attention of those that like to follow the French army's development from the Revolutionary Wars into the Empire period.

I would think that the ratio of Asiatic games should be something like 1:8 or 1:10 or maybe even 1:14. Something for a future title for sure, but way down the road. The same could be said about any of the war in China. I could have plunged into a Philippines '41 game but again, we had put out three games on the Asian theater and I know that the customers love the Eastern Front the most. I am happy be be doing the mapping on that front to help further make the future games for that part of WW2 happen.

The Liberation of the Philippines was the largest land campaign of the Pacific War and I am very happy to have been able to complete it! Now if I can just figure out where all of my marbles went! ROFL (the game was just overkill for sure .... but that is me all over ..)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Looks like i’m gonna have to get Philippines ‘44. There goes more of my money. Thanks, @bill-peters! haha

I’m an author who has written several historical fiction books (East Front ‘45, Cambodia’78, Toulon 1793, etc).

One of my favorite resources as a jumping off point for my World War 2 studies is Mark Herman’s Churchill.

Abstractedly, it shows the last 8 major fronts.

It seems that war gamers in the Anglosphere prefer Europe over Pacific Theaters. I like how Mark split those two major theaters into 4 fronts each. Obviously, we love our European Western and Eastern fronts, but there is good representation of the Mediterranean Front (Africa, Italy) out there. But i love learning about the Arctic front. Kriegsmarine is a FANTASTIC game that covers those battles.

But what about the Pacific Theater? That’s, like, 3rd in interest (if that).

I love how Mark puts Manchuria in the Far East Front, then splits the Pacific into two theaters ‘cause it was legitimately almost two different wars where the Americans weren’t even talking to each other!

While there is no Manchuria ‘45 game, i like that Bill Peters introduced me to Philippines ‘44 so that’ll scratch that itch and Midway’ll do for the Pacific Theaters but now i have a question for everyone: Is there any title here that covers the CBI Theater? That would be dope ‘cause Manchuria and CBI are overlooked, BIG TIME.

Thanks, everyone! I feel like i found my tribe 😊

Tony Hernandez
    Attachments
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    Tony

Post by Tony »

Looks like Proud and the Few and more specifically, Pacific War, might have some CBI scenarios.

Anything else i’m missing?
    J_Irons

Post by J_Irons »

Fall Weiss - Poland 1939
    Aragorn2002

Post by Aragorn2002 »

Fall Blau. Winter War Finland. Late Eastern front (Baltics, Eastern Prussia, Poland, Romania etc). All excellent ideas.
    M_T

Post by M_T »

Poland 39.
    Fall Rot add-on to France 40.