Napoleonic Battles Documentation

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
Holdit

Re: Napoleonic Battles Documentation

Post by Holdit »

Sir John Cope wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:36 am One bit of feedback: The scenarios which come with the game are quite a morass, which no doubt is a reflection of enormous dedication in designing and modifying what's available over several versions of NRC, but as far I can tell there is no list or comprehensive description?

For instance, what is the difference between 012_Gorodetchna and 014_Gorodetchna? Examining them side by side, I can't see one.
As you highlight them in the file selection dialog you'll see the description for each scenario is in the pane underneath. See Section 0.1 of user.pdf.

You can deduce some of it from the components of the filenames> FB = Full Battle, H - Historical, V = Variant, Solo = AI scripts are included, HTH = No AI scripts: human opponent required. Not sure about SG but I think it means a sub-part of the battle (Small Game?).

Edit: Just realised that the above is of little help with NRC. I can't tell the difference between 012_Gorodetchna and 014_Gorodetchna either. The deployments, objectives, initial strengths and arrivals all look the same.
chris_merchant

Post by chris_merchant »

For instance, what is the difference between 012_Gorodetchna and 014_Gorodetchna? Examining them side by side, I can't see one.
014 adds this text: "This scenario allows the French side full use of its Austrian and Saxon forces."
If you compare the two scenarios, the historical one 012 starts with the northern Austrian forces fixed. 014 has no fixed units.

Generally, as the descriptions get formatted and upgraded over time, there should normally be a statement in the description saying (Historical) or (Variant).

cheers
Sir John Cope

Post by Sir John Cope »

chris_merchant wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:03 pm
014 adds this text: "This scenario allows the French side full use of its Austrian and Saxon forces."
If you compare the two scenarios, the historical one 012 starts with the northern Austrian forces fixed. 014 has no fixed units.
Odd! With my installation (clean 4.06) that line does not appear in the scenario description of 014_Gorodetchna,which apart from a carriage return appears to be identical to the description of 012. What's up?
chris_merchant

Post by chris_merchant »

I downloaded the 4.06 full version and checked - 014 is definitely included as described above. However... I think there are two versions of certain scenarios in the installer and one has overwritten the other during install. I'm sure Rich will work it out!
zovs

Post by zovs »

I think this has something to do with Windows and the note from WDS that a uninstall and clean install is best.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
thespaie@yahoo.com

Post by thespaie@yahoo.com »

The description of #14 has the following line that #12 does not...

"This scenario allows the French side full use of its Austrian and Saxon forces."
“Ask Before Activating AI”
oz77

Post by oz77 »

Plain Ian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:03 pm Document: User Manual 4.05?
Section: 3. Dialogs
Details: I can't seem to see any discussion or clarification of the Auto DF Dialog? See below. Missing?

2023-03-19_20h44_58.png

I can see that the default range setting on game start is Med range for artillery and Max (2 hexes?) for infantry. My understanding is that if Max is set for infantry then they will roll to see if they fire if an enemy unit moves/changes formation? within 2 hexes AND if it moves to 1 hex?

In my current game I'm not getting any Defensive fire by my non skirmisher units when enemy units move adjacent or assault? So the settings seem to be exclusive and not inclusive?
I also could not find any details on this.
Not sure what context does it take place (phase play only?). How to change it for PBEM. what are the imlpications of these settings.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

oz77 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:12 am
Plain Ian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:03 pm Document: User Manual 4.05?
Section: 3. Dialogs
Details: I can't seem to see any discussion or clarification of the Auto DF Dialog? See below. Missing?

2023-03-19_20h44_58.png

I can see that the default range setting on game start is Med range for artillery and Max (2 hexes?) for infantry. My understanding is that if Max is set for infantry then they will roll to see if they fire if an enemy unit moves/changes formation? within 2 hexes AND if it moves to 1 hex?

In my current game I'm not getting any Defensive fire by my non skirmisher units when enemy units move adjacent or assault? So the settings seem to be exclusive and not inclusive?
I also could not find any details on this.
Not sure what context does it take place (phase play only?). How to change it for PBEM. what are the imlpications of these settings.
It will set the A/I range both for ADF in phase base games as well as the trigger range for turn based games. Anything beyond that range, be it targets for ADF or triggering actions will be ignored by the A/I. You can set the range each turn. If you want to preserve ammunition, minimum range for infantry and medium range for artillery is a valid setup.
oz77

Post by oz77 »

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

In my current PBEM this is exactly what I need - to preserve ammo for infantry but to fire more often for artillery.

Soat the beginning my turn:
1. I have an option to set the infantry fire to Min (1 hex only fire)
2. I have an option to set the artillery to maximum (maximum range).
And these settings will kick in the following turn until further changes.

Hope my understanding is correct.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

oz77 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:34 am 2. I have an option to set the artillery to maximum (maximum range).
And these settings will kick in the following turn until further changes.

Hope my understanding is correct.
They take effect immediately and remain so until changed again.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager