3D mode?

Forum for the Squad Battles games series
Verdun1916

Re: 3D mode?

Post by Verdun1916 »

Strela wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:47 am
Verdun1916 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:50 pm It is indeed a shame that not all the Squad Battle Games have the 3D view.
I hate playing in 2D view in th SBG series of games. So the lack of the 3D view has certainly kept me from purchasing the tites that are without.

But I do keep my hope up that 3D will be added to those titles that still lack it.
You may be happier with the new 2D graphics that are coming.

The challenge with 3D is particularly the vehicles and guns. They have to be drawn in six different directions and that is a major investment in both time and money.
I do understand the challenge creating 3D vehicles and guns. But no matter the updates to the 2D I simply don't enjoy playing the Squad Battle games in 2D view. It's just not my cup of tea. It has nothing to do with the graphics for me as I'm fine with the graphics of the Squad Battle games as is. I simply don't get any enjoyment out of playing in 2D. The 3D view is what makes the titles that do have it a fun game experience for me.

Personally I do hope all the SB titles will get 3D view at somepoint in the future. But I totally understand if this doesn't happen considering the work involved.

Cheers!
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

It seems to me that you just have to paste the 3D maps from another game to make it work (I did it for SCW, so I can visualize the terrain better (otherwise, I never use 3D)). For the counters, there should be a minimal standard system (counters, not miniatures, like PzC).

Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Cédric Monget wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:45 am It seems to me that you just have to paste the 3D maps from another game to make it work (I did it for SCW, so I can visualize the terrain better (otherwise, I never use 3D)). For the counters, there should be a minimal standard system (counters, not miniatures, like PzC).
Interesting!

To me it is the 3D figures, guns and vehicles that is the charm with the Squad Battle titles I play, aswell as the 3d terrain off course.
I do like the 3D counters used in the Panzer Campaigns, First World War Campaigns series of games aswell as in Modern Campaigns. But considering the scale I don't think they would work well for Squad Battles.

But I guess this is a subject of taste from a players perspective. Some players love the 3D view as it is, while others find it unnecessary or simply don't like it. Personally I only play in 3D view mode and only use the 2D view when I need a quick overlook of the battlefield, like a soldier looking at the map.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

You can have the figures too if you use the 3Dinfantry files from a different, 3D-enabled game and copy them into the folders of each nation in the target game.

However you'll need to mod the colors and the bases of the figures so that they match the target nationalities.

The main problem in my opinion is that there is just one figure type for nationality, so different uniforms are not supported. For example in SCW, you wouldn't be able to distinguish between Requetés and regular Army troops, Spanish Civil Guard, etc.
WDS Support
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Xerxes77 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:12 am You can have the figures too if you use the 3Dinfantry files from a different, 3D-enabled game and copy them into the folders of each nation in the target game.

However you'll need to mod the colors and the bases of the figures so that they match the target nationalities.

The main problem in my opinion is that there is just one figure type for nationality, so different uniforms are not supported. For example in SCW, you wouldn't be able to distinguish between Requetés and regular Army troops, Spanish Civil Guard, etc.
True, besides that infantry figures does have different national colour themselves, not just the bases. But those details that differ different infantry types, in terms of uniform amongt other, would be shown in the unit box for each respective unit anyway.
NBCman

Post by NBCman »

Verdun1916 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:50 pm It is indeed a shame that not all the Squad Battle Games have the 3D view.
I hate playing in 2D view in th SBG series of games. So the lack of the 3D view has certainly kept me from purchasing the tites that are without.

But I do keep my hope up that 3D will be added to those titles that still lack it.
Ya I just got introduce to the series and after trying the civil war demo and matrix games versions. I feel Ill wait on these until 3d Models come out. These are very expensive games and I feel like we pay for less content without 3d Models.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Doubt it will happen, as stated above it's very labor intensive. I did all of the 3d unit graphics graphics in the Matrix Games Campaign Series Middle East and Vietnam games, took years to do them. Not many guys do those either, and have to be fairly quick at it as well. Look in Eagles Strike at the 3d, I did a bunch of those, they took awhile, you will see the ones I did recolored and cleaned up.
Live now, pay later...
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Warhorse wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:08 pm Doubt it will happen, as stated above it's very labor intensive. I did all of the 3d unit graphics graphics in the Matrix Games Campaign Series Middle East and Vietnam games, took years to do them. Not many guys do those either, and have to be fairly quick at it as well. Look in Eagles Strike at the 3d, I did a bunch of those, they took awhile, you will see the ones I did recolored and cleaned up.
Makes sense Warhorse, good point. There is years of work with 3D in all those games and not many seasoned graphics guys out there. You and a couple of others guys are the only ones I know and all of you gents are super busy both with real life and graphics.
Bigus

Post by Bigus »

Warhorse wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:08 pm Doubt it will happen, as stated above it's very labor intensive. I did all of the 3d unit graphics graphics in the Matrix Games Campaign Series Middle East and Vietnam games, took years to do them. Not many guys do those either, and have to be fairly quick at it as well. Look in Eagles Strike at the 3d, I did a bunch of those, they took awhile, you will see the ones I did recolored and cleaned up.
Your retextured vehicles are excellent for Eagles Strike but.....
Did anyone notice that the 3DVehicles50 was not the same as the 100.
This is a 10 second fix but might have been missed being included in the last round of updates.
Bigus

Post by Bigus »

Cédric Monget wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:45 am It seems to me that you just have to paste the 3D maps from another game to make it work (I did it for SCW, so I can visualize the terrain better (otherwise, I never use 3D)). For the counters, there should be a minimal standard system (counters, not miniatures, like PzC).

Wow. This looks like a very old version of my mod.
I always hated the one direction for the fields. I also hated the shadows for the trees.

I am a big fan of the Panzer Campaigns 3D counters or chits. It would be nice to have an isometric view with counters similar to those titles.