taking Waterloo 4.05 for a spin

chris_merchant

Re: taking Waterloo 4.05 for a spin

Post by chris_merchant »

ah ok thanks for the info.

So in Ian's example B, the Chasseurs were firstly disordered by moving through the orchard, and then failed a movement disorder check (because movement threat disorder optional rule was in effect) by moving close to enemy units and entering hexes that had threat values. But because they were already disordered by the time they took the movement threat disorder check, failing the check resulted in a rout result, I'm assuming.

So in summary , a formation change will always trigger a formation change disorder check if the chance of failing the check is greater than 0%, regardless of whether the movement threat disorder optional rule is selected. Movement threat disorder will only be checked when the optional rule is selected. Hopefully have interpreted that correctly.

Pp. 28-29 in the user manual for anyone interested.

cheers
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

Example A - oops I did not see the Embankment so the Disorder is due to terrain.
Example B - yes the Chasseurs started off the turn/move Disordered but the Rout meant they Failed a Movement Disorder check.

I have no idea what that threat level was as I didn't check but I do see from the rules that moving cavalry halves the threat plus the Optional Rule also says that there is a 'halving' effect from the normal Disorder check? So yes bad luck......

Here is the rules section with a few queries I've made about the rules.(Pedant alert)

5.2.20 Threat Value page 29
5.2.20 Threat Value page 29
2023-03-06_21h11_581.png (192.15 KiB) Viewed 807 times

And because I'm a pedant here's a few examples I've made assuming that the threat level was 7 after all the halving.......

Success probabilities
Success probabilities
2023-03-06_21h45_14.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 807 times
chris_merchant

Post by chris_merchant »

Now that is a nice chart!
I am sure WDS are keen for rules feedback so the pedantry serves the community 😄
Shall I start the game with or without the movement threat rule in place? I'm happy either way. Cheers
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

Up late for me so yep keep the Movement Threat in. I think it will help me make better moves.......

Ian in Dundee
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Here's a revision that will go out with the next update:
Threat.png
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

Looks pretty clear now. I didn't realise that the halving effect was displayed on the rear of the Unit Box. Doh.
The Cavalry exception for Threat Disorder is also cleared up.

Oh and increasing 20 to 25 does reduce the chances of failure.

Thanks Ian
skc

Post by skc »

Many thanks for that Success Possibilities Chart. So much easier for my 'non-geek/accountant' brain to unscramble!