What Future Titles Would You Like To See?

Forum for the First World War Campaigns games series
Alan Sharif

Re: What Future Titles Would You Like To See?

Post by Alan Sharif »

To be fair, Galicia 14 will be fairly mobile, so I look forward to it's eventual release.
zovs

Post by zovs »

Yes, I am refering to 2DMag, 2DLarge and 2DSmall.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
TANSTAAFL

Post by TANSTAAFL »

For me, the no-brainer would be a 1918 game, Michael and George, the Americans, all that. You get tanks, you get airpower, you get a much more tactically dynamic environment, and you have battles that were both significant and could (at least conceivably) have ended differently. You also get battles and locations people have heard of.

While the historian in me appreciates coverage of the Austro-Hungarians and the Germans in the East, and the other peripheries of the war like the Middle East or Africa, the fighting in 1918 in the West seems perfect as a topic that is worthwhile, marketable, and interesting.
Dion

Post by Dion »

I feel the same way, but I would add, keep the current titles but just increase each title's coverage to the whole war for each theater. For example: Instead of France '14, update it to include the whole war on the western front, and change the name to WW1: Western Font, or some such name. Each theater could have its own title, so you would have 4 or 5 total titles, instead of a 4 or 5 titles for each year of the war.

Then again, the way it is now isn't too bad, it just takes forever to get all the titles, one for each year of the war, and you have to spend multiple amounts of money getting them. The average gamer probably won't what to buy a title covering each year of the war for each theater.
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Dion wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:02 pm I feel the same way, but I would add, keep the current titles but just increase each title's coverage to the whole war for each theater. For example: Instead of France '14, update it to include the whole war on the western front, and change the name to WW1: Western Font, or some such name. Each theater could have its own title, so you would have 4 or 5 total titles, instead of a 4 or 5 titles for each year of the war.

Then again, the way it is now isn't too bad, it just takes forever to get all the titles, one for each year of the war, and you have to spend multiple amounts of money getting them. The average gamer probably won't what to buy a title covering each year of the war for each theater.
The Western Front would be an outstanding game, and an even better bargain at that cost. However, that's exactly the problem at the same time. Look at the sheer depth of the oob in those games, and consider the amount of work and research that went into them. Now you'll have to do that from scratch for each and every campaign. Ypres, Somme, Marne, Verdun, Michael, Cambrai, Nivelle's Offensive... Each of those would take a level of design work pretty much equivalent to what went into France 14, or EP 14, or Serbia 14. Ok, you wouldn't have to do a new map, and maybe a few other time savers, so not as much work, but it's still going to be lots and lots and lots of work.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
TANSTAAFL

Post by TANSTAAFL »

Given that even the campaigns we have now are like a bajillion turns long and take forever to play, I think anything larger than the scope we have now might be unplayable.

The core map data for the Western Front is there now, though I do think trenches and fortifications in general need a rework. If they are going to do a game where you have the sort of lines you had from 1915 to the end off the war, I'm not sure the current system would work. Those fortifications became more like parts of the geography, inherent features that are to some extent still visible today.

That aside, there is a lot of cool stuff that you could do, from 1917's Cambrai to (my fave) the 1918 battles. Lots of big campaigns and lots of manageable scenarios.
Dion

Post by Dion »

That's one the very most important aspects of the way it is now, the extreme amount of detail that a yearly title provides. Something that the average WDS customer would miss. I think a lot of people would be upset. So, it may be better to keep it the way it is now. We just have to get used to waiting for all the new titles to be released. It's like The Strategic War series allover again, waiting for something that never happens. Then again, the 1918 titles wouldn't be a bad idea, if there was one for each front of the war.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I'd be the first to confess I am more excited by the prospect of 1918 titles, than I am 1915, 16 and many of 17.
Dion

Post by Dion »

For my two cents, I still would like to see 5 titles based on the whole war for that area - Western Front, Eastern Front, the Mediterranean, the Balkans, and Africa.
dukemat

Turn based naval games

Post by dukemat »

turn based naval games so we can pbem them.