What Future Titles Would You Like To See?

Forum for the First World War Campaigns games series
Chris

Re: What Future Titles Would You Like To See?

Post by Chris »

Understand the developers work on the FWW series part-time and spend about six years developing and testing a game.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Chris wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:29 pm Understand the developers work on the FWW series part-time and spend about six years developing and testing a game.
And I'm not getting any younger :D
ASPARTANSPEAKS

Post by ASPARTANSPEAKS »

Chris wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:29 pm Understand the developers work on the FWW series part-time and spend about six years developing and testing a game.
Wow, six years seems like a long time to develop a game!
Dion

Post by Dion »

Six years is a lot of time, but six years of well spent time, as there was an unordinary level of depth in the France '14, and there's no reason to believe it's going to stop.

When France '14 was released, it seemed to be a step above of all the other titles in the other series. Maybe that's why it's taken so much time for a new title to be released, they might be waiting for all the other series to catch-up (graphic wise and UI). But in truth, it's probably more likely they have to consider all the new technical advancements of the time period, like tanks, advanced aircraft capabilities, chemical warfare, and anything else that was invented way back then. There was a lot of tactical advances in WWI.
Volcano

Post by Volcano »

Keep in mind that it was my personal decision (right or wrong, who knows) to make each FWWC title have more content than what you would normally expect. Originally this was because I was worried that there wouldn't be much interest in many of the battles of WW1 compared to WW2, so I try to have the "main event" and then throw in the kitchen sink with it as an added bonus.

This of course has created a sort of "standard" for the series, where I am trying to cram as much as I can into each title. I think you can easily say that each title so far (France '14, Serbia '14, East Prussia '14) could have been two (and in some cases three) separate games - but I didn't want to do that because I felt like you can't really maintain interest for some of the more obscure or static battles in WW1, so you have to lump them together and hopefully create greater interest in singular titles. Serbia '14 is another fine example - everyone might want to play the 1915 invasion but not so much the individual 1914 invasions to the degree that you would buy them as separate games (and I would agree). Of course bigger/more content means more research, more work, more testing and so on. But it also means that (I hope) you also have more existing content to explore between releases, though. :)

But yes, I am going as fast as is humanly possible (with real life going on at the same time). I have tried to speed up this process but I just can't do it without cutting corners and I don't want to do that - maybe I am a prisoner of my own approach here. :?

Each game is like rolling a boulder up a mountain -- it's going slow and steady, but at the same time I have to be careful not to get crushed... :shock:
Last edited by Volcano on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
ASPARTANSPEAKS

Post by ASPARTANSPEAKS »

I haven't done so as of yet but I do plan to purchase the East Prussia '14 game. And, I do think that there is lots of opportunity to expand this series.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I must say, all three WW1 games are an absolute triumph. I say this as someone whose main interest is WW2.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Your efforts are noticed Ed, and truly appreciated!
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

They are indeed magnificent pieces of work and I love all of them. Incredible achievements.
Volcano

Post by Volcano »

Thanks for the compliments! It certainly helps with the motivation. :D