What Future Titles Would You Like To See?

Forum for the First World War Campaigns games series
Erzhog Karl

Re: What Future Titles Would You Like To See?

Post by Erzhog Karl »

"turn based naval games so we can pbem them."......Seconded, Big Time ! A major drawback & limitation to an exciting series.

Pz Campaigns: WW2: Crete, Narvik & Merita Merkur
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

[/quote]

OK, so this is a WW1 forum, but I will just mention Pz Campaigns has already covered Crete. See the Salerno Game.
Barbarossa

Post by Barbarossa »

zovs wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:14 pm
Erzhog Karl wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:17 pm Gentlemen....Franco-Prussian War, a gem IMHO
Yes it is.
Count me in, ... just watched a neat series on the Franco-Prussian war and I believe the WWI engine would make a good fit for the period. Sedan including siege artillery etc., a lot of smaller scenarios in the early days of the war in the Saarland border area and Elsace-Lorraine would work, too. Another cool addition to that time period would be the Crimean war as well - trench warfare, loads of artillery, multiple parties involved, perfect fit.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Barbarossa wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:35 pm
Erzhog Karl wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:17 pm Gentlemen....Franco-Prussian War, a gem IMHO
Yes it is.
Count me in, ... just watched a neat series on the Franco-Prussian war and I believe the WWI engine would make a good fit for the period. Sedan including siege artillery etc., a lot of smaller scenarios in the early days of the war in the Saarland border area and Elsace-Lorraine would work, too. Another cool addition to that time period would be the Crimean war as well - trench warfare, loads of artillery, multiple parties involved, perfect fit.
To be honest I don't think FWWC engine is suitable for neither rhe Franco-Prussian nor the Crimean war as both were black powder age wars. The Napoleonic or the ACW engines would be closer matches, but requiring certain modifications to work with either. The Napoleonic engine would have suitable cavalry for either but would need to be updated to include rifles and rifled artillery and the longer ranges and accuracy that came with it + breach loading weapons for the Franco-Prussian. The ACW engine already has rifled firearms and artillery aswell as breachloading/repeating firearms. However it lacks the proper cavalry function which would be in need of updating to better accommodate mounted combat.
There are simply to many differences when it comes to firepower and tactics aswell as other technical aspects between the First World War and the Franco-Prussian war, and even more so with the Crimean War that predated the the ACW.

For colonial war games set in the 1890's and the 1900's or a war like the Russo-Japanese War or the Spanish-American War the FWWC engine would be far more suitable.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

Erzhog Karl wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:07 pm "turn based naval games so we can pbem them."......Seconded, Big Time ! A major drawback & limitation to an exciting series.

I dont care for the si-move Naval series as much as I do the old Combat Mission game formula which has the owning side plot their move and then the PC does the movement for them. Combat is executed by the PC as the units get into range.
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

Verdun1916 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:41 pm

Yes it is.
To be honest I don't think FWWC engine is suitable for neither rhe Franco-Prussian nor the Crimean war as both were black powder age wars. The Napoleonic or the ACW engines would be closer matches, but requiring certain modifications to work with either. The Napoleonic engine would have suitable cavalry for either but would need to be updated to include rifles and rifled artillery and the longer ranges and accuracy that came with it + breach loading weapons for the Franco-Prussian. The ACW engine already has rifled firearms and artillery aswell as breachloading/repeating firearms. However it lacks the proper cavalry function which would be in need of updating to better accommodate mounted combat.
There are simply to many differences when it comes to firepower and tactics aswell as other technical aspects between the First World War and the Franco-Prussian war, and even more so with the Crimean War that predated the the ACW.

For colonial war games set in the 1890's and the 1900's or a war like the Russo-Japanese War or the Spanish-American War the FWWC engine would be far more suitable.
All you need to do is add those weapons in the PDT file. Range, effectiveness are all attributes that the user can set. Now that fractions can be used for the effectiveness this allows for more accurate differences for each range group. So nothing needs to be done to the main program for the Napoleonic Battles series. Its there already.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Bill-Peters wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:36 pm
Verdun1916 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:41 pm

All you need to do is add those weapons in the PDT file. Range, effectiveness are all attributes that the user can set. Now that fractions can be used for the effectiveness this allows for more accurate differences for each range group. So nothing needs to be done to the main program for the Napoleonic Battles series. Its there already.
With that said, the NAP series then would be the best suitable platform for the Crimean and the Franco-Prussian War.
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

I think WWI still has enough things to cover.

I have special interest in the Ottoman participation because they are a little like Italy in WWII, you know is in the war but do a lot more than people know.

For me in the game serie scale i think Meggido18 could offer a small scale for combats, is possible fight at company level and offer a lot options to play with what ifs, improve quality for Ottomans, more troops, more allies presence (germans, french... italians!!!!).

In general i feel WWI is a lot more than trench warfare but is more than massive battles,

Other interesting thing is made something to cover air war, not like in air series, something closer to a hidden gem like is "Defending the reich" more orientated to the planification over tactical combat.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Good point about the Ottomans, Squadman 45.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

The Mesopotamian campaigns could make for an interesting game title in this series. The Ottoman-Russian front in Anatolia aswell. Or why not the British campaigna to take Jerusalem.